Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Not One Word Yet From One Mod

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+15 January 2004 - 19:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 15 January 2004 - 19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@15 January 2004 - 16:28
    Originally posted by Busyman@15 January 2004 - 04:55
    <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol
    @15 January 2004 - 03:57
    What sports are Americans actually good at, in a global sense.

Baseball..... they are good at that an American team always wins the &#39;&#39;World series&#39;&#39;
    Rounders you mean?

Isnt that what girls have to play at Primary School in the UK?

And fancy having to wear body armour to play a game based on Rugby... the rest of the world dont need it [/b][/quote]
    No he means baseball.

1. Girls could not handle 90 mph, I&#39;m mean 95 kph pitches.

2. Rugby players could not handle NFL players or college football players for that matter ...WITH pads. . The rules are similiar but the nature of American Football is a little more barbaric and too much for rugby player.

No pads = broken bones
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Thought i&#39;d share this i found on another board telling of the difference between Rugby and American Football..

Firstly American &#39;football&#39; isn&#39;t football. They call it football but they also drive on the wrong side of the road so clearly their judgement is suspect.

Secondly, American football teams have roughly 437 players on each team. One to hold the ball, one to pass, one to catch, one to block, one to be blocked, one to be on the side while the other guy is blocking, one to be on the side while being blocked.

The rules, as far as I can make out are that a handful of players from each team wander onto the field. One side has the ball and the other doesn&#39;t. The team with the ball attempts to get the ball past the other team. This involves one guy passing the ball behind him to another guy who then runs backwards while trying to find someone else to throw the ball to. Note the lack of foot on ball here. The other team is, at this stage, mostly made up of walking examples of how evolution can go wrong. They attempt to kill any of the team with the ball, thus rendering the ball holder&#39;s attempts to pass the ball to another player moot.

After a few seconds the ball is passed safely or the ball holder is dismembered. Everyone leaves the field.

The teams then pick another hand full of players and prepare to do pretty much the same thing again. Sometimes someone on the team with the ball will be passed the ball and will have to run with the ball. Note that, since this is "football", they are not actually allowed to kick the ball. All they are allowed to do is throw the ball to the other end of the field where someone has to catch it without ending up as a statistic.

Everyone wears armour that accounts for half their body mass. Each play means that players are forced to run upwards of 10 yards at a time, but with 425 players in reserve on the benches there is enough players to rotate onto the field without any fear of players dying from exertion while carrying all that armour.

Eventually someone manages to throw the ball in the right direction to a player who can catch (and who is at the correct end of the field) and they get a touchdown. Note that they don&#39;t actually have to touch the ball down. Alternatively some brave soul can actually run with the ball to the end zone.

Teams change, dead bodies are removed, and everyone lines up again.

Rugby, on the other hand, is a team of 15 guys (in rugby Union, 13 in Rugby League, 7 in seven-a-side)who face another team of 15 guys. One team has the ball and they can either pass it to other team members (but only if the pass travels backwards) or can kick it forward. Players can only attempt to kill other players if that other player is holding the ball. If this is the case then it&#39;s on for young and old. Note that the very first play of the ball is a kick-off, where one team kicks the football (literally means &#39;ball meant to be kicked by a foot&#39 to the other team.

No armour is worn. Maybe a headpiece, definitely a mouthguard, and for those who want to see Fathers Day, maybe some further judicious protection. The team with the ball must do what it can to get the ball past the other team, and once the team member carrying the ball is attended to with sufficient prejudice and is no longer moving, the team will then regroup and try again. No breaks, no changing players, no sutering of wounds. 5 more attempts later the team with the ball must give the ball up to the other team, and the delicate dance proceeds back the way it came.

If one team gets the ball over the try line, and physically touches the ball to the soil, it&#39;s called a &#39;try&#39; (as opposed to a &#39;did it&#39;, which would make more sense). The team can also kick the ball through the upright posts for a field goal.

Occasionally when a ball goes out of the field everyone gets together in a big huddle, called a ruck, loops arms around each others shoulders and attempts to force the other team&#39;s ruck to collapse, potentially breaking some players necks and giving the attacking side a distinct advantage. Occasionally teams members go missing inside rucks.

As Jonno would say..

I&#39;ll get me coat.....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. Lounge   -   #43
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    coughs - ever been up against a professional rugy player? No? Then what evidence do you have that rugby players could not take american football players with pads?

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Rugby is getting more popular in the USA it seems.

Joking aside, the reason that there are more injuries in American Football is the false sense of security they get with all the padding. Rugby is more "Controlled", although it looks rougher and more chaotic.

For example:

You dont get players hitting others head on like a projectile in Rugby as knocking the other player over doesnt stop play like it does in American Football, he would just get up and keep on going while the attacker would still be flat on his face (even if it was allowed in the rules )

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by FKDUP74+15 January 2004 - 21:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FKDUP74 @ 15 January 2004 - 21:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Proper Bo@ I tell thee,15 January 2004 - 11:41
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced
    @15 January 2004 - 19:11

Rounders you mean?

Isnt that what girls have to play at Primary School in the UK?&nbsp;

And fancy having to wear body armour to play a game based on Rugby... the rest of the world dont need it

Like rounders, but with a slightly bigger bat and loooooads of padding

baseball dont use pads
    just the catcher......
    and you would too if ya didnt want a 95 mph fastball to skip off the dirt into your nuts B)

btw, do they throw 95 in rounders? thought not

SPORTSWORLD&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Actually, we used to have mixed rounders at my old high school and I swear I got near to a 95mph pitch. Highest I got was around 89.

Unfortunately after a couple of weeks of play, the school barred me from playing rounders again Something about putting the others in danger, but they were novice wussies anyway

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by Illuminati@16 January 2004 - 00:23
    Something about putting the others in danger, but they were novice wussies anyway
    You only ednagered tehm by stealing the firts aid kit

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Originally posted by Lamsey@15 January 2004 - 21:21

Most folk aren&#39;t bothered by it, it&#39;s the fact that some Americans often say "no, its not called football, it&#39;s soccer".

You leeched the name, not us.
    Soccer:
    Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules of the game. One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the Association several months later. The name Association Football was coined to distinguish it from Rugby Football.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca&#39; was in use, and the spelling soccer had made its appearance by 1895.
    Etymology of soccer: by shortening & alteration from association football-see above "socca"
    Date: 1889
    Blimey, you mates invented the word because of sloth, we picked it up out of admiration and now you take umbrage when we use it. What do you blokes want from us?

The 2 sports should be rightfully called association football and rugby football. You guys have dropped the "football" from "rugby" and you shortened "association football" to "soccer". Now you don&#39;t want us callin&#39; it that. You bloody lot are confusing us poor Yanks, to be sure.

What&#39;s it to be, then?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Lounge   -   #48
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@14 January 2004 - 21:39
    Where is Nikki...RPerry.....CornerPocket?American MODs that understand the importance of Sports.

SportsWorld&#33;
    I&#39;m American?

I&#39;ll have you know that I&#39;m about 50 miles from the US&#33;&#33; (If you take a boat... )

Okay... all kidding aside. I&#39;m a sports fanatic, everyone knows that, my sig would indicate such.

But why do we need a different world to discuss it? We&#39;ve always done so in the lounge, why not keep it here? I&#39;m indifferent to it. If there were a Sportsworld, I&#39;m sure I would visit it, but I also follow the sports threads in the lounge now.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 January 2004 - 16:16
    Blimey, you mates invented the word because of sloth, we picked it up out of admiration and now you take umbrage when we use it. What do you blokes want from us?
    grrrrrrr&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    get em hobbes&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

you guys gotta admit hes got a point....

@nikki - and were givin ya plenty of threads to visit too, eh?
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    What was that?

Oh, did you hear it drop, too?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast