Thread: Converting Dat Files?

I just downloaded a movie and i recreated the original folder, but kazaa wont convert it to an avi. The movie stays as a dat file. One time kazaa deleted that movie file, lucky me i made a back up. So now im stuck with a .DAT movie file that can olny be opened in AVIPREVIEW. is there a way to remove the download information from the dat file and turn it into an AVi file with out using kazaa?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    from what I've heard all you have to do is change the extention of the dat-file into .avi.I think you have to open the dat file with notepad in order to do so.
    I never tried it so i'm not sure how to do this.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    You have to change the downloads extension, and you don't have to use notepad to do so. Just rename your i.e. 1234567890.dat to "Movie Title.avi" if the .dat extension isn't seen goto Folder Options->View and untick Hide extensions of known file types (or sth like that)

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    i did change the extention but windows media player still cant read the file. i tryed other movie players but still no luck....

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    You might not have all necessary codecs. Go to Edskes page and download the K-Lite Codec Pack 2.20 Full.