Thread: "incorect Dismount Of Partition"

I just formated. Went OK.
    I then moved all the crap on hdd 2 over to hdd1 on 3 partitions. I then used the admin tools in control pannel to change the letters of the drives.
    Now I get a error when trying to boot.
    "Boot failed, please insert boot diskitte and press enter to continue"
    I stuck my 4GB hdd in and booted ok using win98 and had my other 120gb hdds as slave, but I hit a problem they never showed up at all.
    I installed partition magic on the 4gb hdd and now ran it over the 120gbs and it reconised them partition magic said the error was...

"Incorect dismount of partition, please see online user guide"
    So what does that mean, and what can I do.
    I have too must stuff to loose.
    If I dont get this fixed, Im not going to buy a new hdd, and I dare take it to a shop, I might jsut pack the pc in.
    So any help much apreasheated.HEL

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    FST Retiree
    you could try FIXMBR from the recovery console of xp. not sure if it would work, but its a suggestion.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by dg_mortal@16 January 2004 - 13:50
    you could try FIXMBR from the recovery console of xp. not sure if it would work, but its a suggestion.
    or "bootcfg /rebuild"

You should do both of thoose. I usually just do a fixmbr but sometimes that does not always work. So then you do bootcfg /scan to scan for available boot records and then bootcfg /rebuild.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I jsut spent about 5 hours formatting, and getting xp on. Lost everything, oh well. Download all that again now.