Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Update...

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I had a few questions in here recently about which IDE channels to put a new HDD and DVD writer on. In conclusion , the IDE channels weren't a problem but I think the 250W PSU was and I'm due an upgrade. When looking at new PSUs things spiralled and I decided to go on a bit of a shopping spree at Ebuyer. Any comments?

I'm getting:

Asus A7V8X-X SKT A KT400 8x AGP DDR Sound/lAN/USB 2.0

AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan

Ebuyer 512 DDR400 PC3200 Extra Value Ram

Twilight Black ATX Midi Tower 350w PSU AMD/P4 Flower Window & Blue Neon Light

High Quality Round IDECable ATA133 60cm in Yellow

The IDE cables I really wanted in blue but they're out of stock for 60 days and I got a blue/red LED fan too for the front of the case. A Ti4200 128 MB 8X and a 200 GB 8MB cache HDD will be added.

Will I really feel the difference from a P4 1.8, PC133 RDRAM, AGP 4X system. I hope you say yes cos I've bought it all now anyway...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    You've already bought it? Drads.

Looks like a fine system I guess (shrugs at the ASUS board) Not Nforce2, which would have r0x0red....

Also, buying a processor Reail is usually a deal, but its a 5 Euro differece between Rertail 2500 and OEM 2500. If A Processor fan and heatsink are more than 5 euro, than I wouldnt worry, but just something I noticed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Was on a bit of a budget, hence the crappy RAM, but teh processor was only a bit more than OEM and came with a 3 yr warranty which the OEM didn't. Although I've since found out the warranty only applies if I use the supplied heatsink and fan, but if I do replace that and it blows, how are they supposed toknow...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skillian@17 January 2004 - 07:48
    Was on a bit of a budget, hence the crappy RAM, but teh processor was only a bit more than OEM and came with a 3 yr warranty which the OEM didn't. Although I've since found out the warranty only applies if I use the supplied heatsink and fan, but if I do replace that and it blows, how are they supposed toknow...
    If your procecssor fails and you return it with thermal paste on it you will not get a freebie. That's how they know.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Filesharinghelp.com
    I found some paste that "doesnt void warrenty"

not used it myself or anything, i use artic silver 3

Link

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by johnboy27+17 January 2004 - 08:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnboy27 @ 17 January 2004 - 08:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skillian@17 January 2004 - 07:48
    Was on a bit of a budget, hence the crappy RAM, but teh processor was only a bit more than OEM and came with a 3 yr warranty which the OEM didn&#39;t. Although I&#39;ve since found out the warranty only applies if I use the supplied heatsink and fan, but if I do replace that and it blows, how are they supposed toknow...
    If your procecssor fails and you return it with thermal paste on it you will not get a freebie. That&#39;s how they know. [/b][/quote]
    cant u just wipe the thermal paste off??lol

My Blog
    I'm still here.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Lite@17 January 2004 - 09:14
    I found some paste that "doesnt void warrenty"

not used it myself or anything, i use artic silver 3

Link
    Thanks.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Also, about your ram, I wouldnt worry to much, you will still be able to get a nice overclock using the 3200Ram. Atleast at its specified 200FSB.

Although, once again, I would look around for a different motherboard perhaps. I see you are going to buy rounded cables, and I know that my Epox 8RDA3+ Came with rounded cables, which i was going to buy seperately, so that was a selling point for me as well.

And why did you choose the case btw? Cant say I would have chose it, but I would go for something with good expandability for Fans personally. Mine only accompnies 1x back and 1x front. Thus, my air flow can only be so great. Some free fans with your case might be a good option for you to choose one over another to maximize case temps and thus CPU temp.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I&#39;m thinking an nforce 2 chipset might be best now as well. I&#39;ve got a couple of days to change my mind, so I can still look around. Had a look at that Epox but might be a little expensive for me, although I didn&#39;t find many places selling it in the UK. Can people tell me what they think of these boards as an alternative...

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Socket A NForce2 Ultra 400 Lan, Sound, USB 2.0 FSB400 ATA133 Retail Box

MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 Motherboard

edit: re the case, I must admit I was tempted by the blue neon , but it includes room for a fan at the front, two at rear, one at the side and on one top so that shouldn&#39;t be a problem. I bought a couple of fans with it that I didn&#39;t mention in first post.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    may i recomend this, the actual board is a biostar m7ncd, i got it a little while ago and pretty happy with it.
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components...?quicklinx=2Q7L
    doesnt have all the fancy features, but tis got what u need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast