Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geocities Shiting Me

hey,
    for some reason geocities has taken my website down????? it gives me this message:
    Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/shoutman2004/

and many hours have pasted since? I dont have any files online for download so wtf!!!?????

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by shoutman@17 January 2004 - 06:29
    hey,
    for some reason geocities has taken my website down????? it gives me this message:
    Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/shoutman2004/

and many hours have pasted since? I dont have any files online for download so wtf!!!?????
    u exceeded the maximum amount of bandwidth

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    is it a popular site?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    hardy its only been up for 3 days? and how did i exceed the bandwidth? And how do i measure it?

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by shoutman@17 January 2004 - 05:46
    hardy its only been up for 3 days? and how did i exceed the bandwidth? And how do i measure it?
    i've never used geocities so i don't know how...

have you emailed their support to ask?
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    yeh i found out that i get 4mg an hour. that aint good right? is it caused by to many people comin in or images or sumthin?

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by shoutman@17 January 2004 - 06:02
    yeh i found out that i get 4mg an hour. that aint good right? is it caused by to many people comin in or images or sumthin?
    yeah, exceeding the alloted bandwidth just means that too many people are viewing your site, viewing your images or downloading any files that might be there

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Forget Geoshitties and look for a better free host.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    yeah, i wouldn't use geocities anyway. The ad's there are too bloody annoying for my tastes.

'Bandwidth' refers to how much infomation was sent. Say you have a page with an image on it - the page is 5kb, and the image is 30kb. Everytime someone views that page, you use 30+5=35 kb.
    But - if you have 2 pages with that same image on, and both pages are 5kb, you could use anything between 40kb and 70kb. Why? Because some people with have their cache enabled, which means that their browser will see that it already downloaded the image recently, so it won't ask for it a second time. Other people have their cache disabled, which means that the browser asks for the image every time and doesn't bother holding on to it.

The best advice for keeping bandwidth down is to re-use as much as possible. Having a different title pic on each page may look cool - but is it worth the tradeoff? Similarly, if you can have that menu on the side load just once instead of every time the page loads (frames), it's probably a good idea if its a big menu.

Edit - just checked the page. You had movie files available on a geocities account? no wonder mate. You won't find a free service that gives you enough bandwidth for that - might be time to fish the wallet outta the toilet, mate.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    the video's werent actually online just pics were. do ya know any other host better than geocities?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast