Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Demand

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I have Comcast in the US and On Demand allows you to watch most movies, series, and special for free.
    Of course it lets watch them when you want.
    You can stop, pause, rewind, and fast forward and all done without a DVR.

This puts satellite to shame. It also turns the pay per view model upside down.
    PPV still cost the same on On Demand but why order a movie at predetermined time when can order it when you want it.

They still have commercials or promos on some shows. I watched the Chappelle show and it had plugs for other Comedy Central shows BEFORE and AFTER it.

You must have a digital box though so no hacking (yet_.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Yep, On Demand is awesome. Especially when you have a free preview of a premium channel like Starz or Showtime for a week. Then you can just tape all their movies from On Demand and watch them whenever you want. I just hope they start putting network shows on there too. That way if you miss a weekly episode of a series like Friends or Enterprise, you can always just watch it at your leisure. It's going to change the way we watch TV, making it more like the Internet. Instead of just accepting whatever is being broadcast at the moment, you can now go and search for something that interests you.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Busyman@17 January 2004 - 17:20
    I have Comcast in the US and On Demand allows you to watch most movies, series, and special for free.
    Of course it lets watch them when you want.
    You can stop, pause, rewind, and fast forward and all done without a DVR.

This puts satellite to shame. It also turns the pay per view model upside down.
    PPV still cost the same on On Demand but why order a movie at predetermined time when can order it when you want it.

They still have commercials or promos on some shows. I watched the Chappelle show and it had plugs for other Comedy Central shows BEFORE and AFTER it.

I don't have it unfortunately, but: it would be nice, if someone would record
    hard to find movies as MPG - We need more people recording hard to find stuff besides well known movies and stuff

So, come one record hardtofind stuff and movies as MPG an share them.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    bootylicious's Avatar You've been punk'd
    Yep, we have VOD up here in Canada; same concept and all but it's no where near what u guys have in the States. I'm speaking in terms of the movies available for viewing. We do get one or two PPV movies plus TV specials etc... but the majority are old. Lets just say we're still in the development stage. I'm loving the idea and ease of use though...can't wait till it gets better.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman@17 January 2004 - 07:20
    Yep, I'm in Oregon and also have Comcast. Couple of years ago I bought a Mitsubishi big-screen hi-definition but never bought the expensive converter or satellite to view hi-def. Now I'm finally getting the most out of the TV. In October they made available HD and I got the HD converter box installed (only $5 more per month)...1080i is amazing, along with 5.1 digital sound. That's all I needed. It's great!
    Ten channels of HD is standard with lots of pro-sports in HD (ESPN HD), along with selected HBO and Showtime movies. Even local programming in HD.
    Then there's the On-Demand. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, TMC, Starz and extra features...comedy specials, after-dark, music concerts, etc.
    lol, I hardly make it to Hollywood Video anymore unless there is something I REALLY want to see. Wait a couple of months and it'll be on Comcast.
    Technically no problems. In the beginning there were a couple small problems with the box but being it was new technology just introduced I was patient and Comcast gave good assistance when I needed it. Now it's all running smooth as silk.
    (lol, as I read this back to myself I sound like a commercial for Comcast.
    NO, I don't work for them nor am I affiliated in any way)

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Later this year, Comcast is going to replace their current digital box with one that includes a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), which is basically like a TiVo. That means you'll be able to record, pause, and rewind ALL their channels.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-5113132.html

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    muchspl2
    word
    I'v got 2 rePlay pvrs
    best toy I ever bought, changed the way I watch tv compleatly

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@18 January 2004 - 09:45
    Later this year, Comcast is going to replace their current digital box with one that includes a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), which is basically like a TiVo.  That means you'll be able to record, pause, and rewind ALL their channels.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-5113132.html
    We'll have DVR's near the beginning of February. Luckily the Washington DC area is hotbed for rolling out new services. A couple techs from Comcast told me they are still testing it but are surprised it's not here yet.

The company I work for, Verizon (Bell Atlantic at the time), screwed up big time. We were buying cable company TCI but pulled out at the 59th minute of the 11th hour because John Malone wanted too much for the company (their stock dropped too low).
    We also were testing a VOD service called Stargazer which went through telco lines but I don't know what happened to that one.

We are the biggest telco in America. Imagine if we had a cable company too.

edit: the DVR will be the same price as the box I already have. Damn I'm glad I didn't buy TIVO.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    *update*

On Demand for the Premium channels only works if you have that premium channel.

Ex. You can watch Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO On Demand if you have HBO.
    I guess they gave all of it free for 30 days.

Comcast is now charging an extra $3 per premium channel per box exluding HBO.

So if you have Cinemax, Showtime and 3 boxes then you'll charged an extra $12.
    These little Comcast bastards failed to mention this before. They just came back on the line (I'm talking with a service rep) and he said the charge is slightly wrong and he put me on hold again .

Also it seems DVR is an EXTRA $10 per month. They can kiss my ass.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Is this the same thing as Sky Plus in the UK?

Nice idea, works very well, but more and more subscription charges - its a joke, should be a one-off fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast