Thread: Opengl Error... Virus?! Please Help.

Poster
    I have a Geforce 4 MX440 with the latest drivers which come with OpenGL. I just got a copy of Lightwave, and when I try run it, it says.

"Error, DLL missing, cannot find OpenGL32.dll"

This is very strange. On my old PC, I had a virus (I assume it was a virus) that, whenever I tried to play a game that ran on the Quake III engine (and also possibly OpenGL) like Alice or Heavy Metal FAKK 2, the game would just crash. After I reformatted, it worked fine. Now when I tried to play Heavy Metal, I got an error which said "Cannot find OpenGL subsystem"

I really cannot reformat. It is such a hassle. I've lost my backup CD and there's no way I can get all my software installation files again. Plus, I'm the host PC on a Broadband supporting network and if my computer goes down, the internet on all my others (3) go down as well...

I havn't tried a program that needs OpenGL, like a game, or a 3D Modeler, since I upgraded my 3D Card Drivers... Twice... Should I revert back to older drivers?
    Any suggestions?

I uninstalled everything related to the drivers.... installed newer drivers... Didn't help, installed older drivers... Didn't help

I downloaded the single file of OpenGL32.dll from www.download-dlls.com

I extracted it to my Windows System folder and couldn't find it there when I went to check... I found out that it was a "hidden" file, and when I went to explorer options and changed the settings from "Don't show hidden files" to "Show all files" It came up in System...

However, The 3D screensavers don't work.

What should I do!

I don't want my whole (possible) CGI education ruined for something stupid!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    FST Retiree
    is the file in C:\WINDOWS\System or C:\WINDOWS\System32......if its in the initial, move it to the latter and see if it works.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Didn't work... I copied it to the System32 folder and the System32/Drivers folder.

This is bugging me!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    FST Retiree
    have you tried manually registering the file?.....
    Start Menu>Run
    Code:
    regsvr32 OpenGL32.dll
    EDIT: nevermind, you cant register that dll

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I downloaded Glu32.dll and now the 3D screensavers are working! Yeah... I'm going to try out Lightwave now

Thanks !
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Vamp@17 January 2004 - 12:57
    I have a Geforce 4 MX440 with the latest drivers which come with OpenGL. I just got a copy of Lightwave, and when I try run it, it says.

"Error, DLL missing, cannot find OpenGL32.dll"

This is very strange. On my old PC, I had a virus (I assume it was a virus) that, whenever I tried to play a game that ran on the Quake III engine (and also possibly OpenGL) like Alice or Heavy Metal FAKK 2, the game would just crash. After I reformatted, it worked fine. Now when I tried to play Heavy Metal, I got an error which said "Cannot find OpenGL subsystem"

I really cannot reformat. It is such a hassle. I've lost my backup CD and there's no way I can get all my software installation files again. Plus, I'm the host PC on a Broadband supporting network and if my computer goes down, the internet on all my others (3) go down as well...

I havn't tried a program that needs OpenGL, like a game, or a 3D Modeler, since I upgraded my 3D Card Drivers... Twice... Should I revert back to older drivers?
    Any suggestions?

I uninstalled everything related to the drivers.... installed newer drivers... Didn't help, installed older drivers... Didn't help

I downloaded the single file of OpenGL32.dll from www.download-dlls.com

I extracted it to my Windows System folder and couldn't find it there when I went to check... I found out that it was a "hidden" file, and when I went to explorer options and changed the settings from "Don't show hidden files" to "Show all files" It came up in System...

However, The 3D screensavers don't work.

What should I do!

I don't want my whole (possible) CGI education ruined for something stupid!
    Many people have problems with opengl. Most of the times its the game developers making their games require higher end graphics in order for the game to run.

On older pc this was a big problem with opengl because they make their hardware and 3d acceleration platform standards way to fast for most pc to handle. Go here and see what you can find out. http://www.opengl.org/

Im not a gamer but I had tux racer http://www.tuxracer.com/ once and it would not run because of an open gl error so I went to their site and got a newer version of opengl for my linux box and it worked great after that.