Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Who Don't Believe In God

Poster
    Alright, I'll start the thread.

Please, no religious preaching replies here. This is for the scientific (Atheist) person to post a reply.

I am not disrespecting anyone who believes in "God", or similar superior being, or mythology. Those people's beliefs are as important and as strong as my scientific knowledge and ideas.

A lot of people believe in Christ. I do too. He was probably a guy with the gift of gab, who never got married. And that's it. The rest of the uneducated people of the town were most likely attracted to his personality.

This idea that the entire world, as we know it, is only 6,000 years old is too hard for me to believe. It takes millions of years for the light emitted from distant stars to reach earth. I don't buy the dinosaur explanation offered by some religions. The truth is, earth actually existed millions of years ago, and the dinosaurs roamed the earth then.

What happened to the "Greek Mythology"? Are there any Greeks today that practice the belief in Zeus and all of those Gods? Come on, their religion is/was as important as any religion is today.

Sure, religion was an easy answer to the simple crowd in the old days. All they knew was that there was light to see and night to sleep. Air to breath, rain, food, water. The earth was flat. The moon "was there". What a place to live!! Perfect. Now, we all know that the earth is round like a ball, in the vacuum of space. The moon is reachable by man. The existence of life is DNA (only 4 chemicals in an infinite combination) in the correct conditions.

---------------------

I can go on forever with this. You Lounge geeks can fill in the rest with your ideas and theories.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I think the christians are smarter than you.
    their thread has a "Please Do Not Ruin" disclaimer.
    sorry.
    this thread is to be cast into the lake of fire.
    there will be wailing, and gnashing of teeth.
    thx.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparsely@18 January 2004 - 02:18
    I think the christians are smarter than you.
    their thread has a "Please Do Not Ruin" disclaimer.
    sorry.
    this thread is to be cast into the lake of fire.
    there will be wailing, and gnashing of teeth.
    thx.
    They may be smarter, but common sense is required here. I assumed that the majority of people here are also polite, however, for some odd reason, intelligent posts seem to attract the low-lifes from the crowd.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by Spindulik@18 January 2004 - 00:21
    for some odd reason, intelligent posts seem to attract the low-lifes from the crowd.
    yes....and here they come now:

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Lounge   -   #5
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    I choose to ignore you right now Sparsely.

I don't believe in God except when I'm in trouble. Then it quickly turns to "Oh God! Help!" i.e. childbirth

I'd like to believe in reincarnation and karma, but in truth I don't.

I think we came, we saw, we went. End of story.

B)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    okay...

Not sure what your looking for here...We have several options to consider about the exsistence of Ghod...or God although there is a difference...

1.That he/she exsists...and is the christian God(BTW:some scholars believe Jesus was married because he is reffed to as RABBI in the Bible and during that time as well as today you arent called that unless you are married....and in some sects have reproduced.)

Of course God is depected as a male in the Bible..and the Bible does reenforce a pretty much male-dominated society.

I f God does exsist what about the Hindus and Buddists?..and the elder gods? what were they?How did the egyptian priests make their sticks to snakes? was magic real back then?..did the egyptian gods have power?

I proposed a theory to a christian friend of mine..."What if the 1000 yr reign of God has already happened..." According to the Bible God rules for 1000 yrs the takes up everyone to Heaven....except for the MEEK..They will inheirt the earth...no where does it say what shape it will be in nor that God will ever come back nor watch them...just that the MEEK get to keep it...what if we are descended from the meek?..What if the dinasaurs and Fossils came AFTER revelations?..We being descended from the meek would have the bits and pieces of knowledge from the first age....but that could become twisted and lost and confused and now we dont remember that we were left behind to take care of the Earth...just a theory....but that would make both Christians and Non-christians right....there is a god..but there isnt cause he's not watchin anymore...

Okay...Thast what u do with a theory...u say something and try to see if the facts fit..

2.There is no God...Superstition and myth....plausiable given the facts that we try to come up with grand patterens and strange explainations for things....and we try to figure everything out and things that we cant explain..well...we use magic or God or something like that.Humans on the Whole hafta have a reason or eplaination for everything...it's our nature..that and we fear death to such an extent that can't be the end...it's conforting to believe that we go on...

3.Somewhere in the middle...God is an alien force that is so much above us and alien(He's never been stood up on a date...made fun of because of some physical defect..etc)that we will never understand him...like an ant trying to figure out a nuclear bomb

Theory 2:God in the Old teatement didn't really understand humans..or emotions...He was suprised by Adam and Eve....really didnt understand why they did what they did..seems genuineally confused about Caine...etc...Mostly a war God in the OT....Jealous spiteful....It's not until he creates Jesus and Jesus walks the earth that he begins to understand what love is and how bad war is....If u read the OT and the NT God is Schizophrenic...OTavid...go kill EVERYBODY (BABIES TOO)..NT:Turn the other cheek...The Jesus theory fixes that...after Jesus dies he goes to GOd and says"Dad...WE GOTTA TALK..."

He explains that Humans like their skin..now to god only the soul matters..he could care less about physical suffering for the most part..but JC would tell him that humans like their clothes(Our bodies wuld be like a favorite shirt to god..yes its nice and all but u dont really need it)..but we ARE really attached to our bodies and the physical world..then god sends Jesus back and the new Love thy neighbor no longer hafta be a Jew church takes off....

Theory 3: God is an alien who made everything(God engineer theory) then started it the sat back...He created all the physical laws..including evenloution...pressed the start button and sat back to see what would happen.

THink of the universe like a lawnmower built by god..except this isnt meant to cut grass..its meant to make another HIM..hopefully in the end out of the spigot will pop one or more of HIMS...so he wont be alone and maybe even figure out how he got here..hell it might be circular time and this is HOW he did get made....

So...he need certain physical laws..time...energy...entrophy...motion..Einstein believed this one..God as a clockmaker BTW...So he makes the laws able to create and sustain life and laws to make sure it can evolve into higher and higher things IF they choose to and survive long enuf without killing each other...but he doesnt want to interfere..he shoulnt haft..the machine should be perfect...

Now here we have several sub options....Satan(or gods own doubt)...makes the machine not perfect..so he breaks his own rule and begins to meddle..Angels...age of miricles..finally Jesus.....in this theory think of your kid learning to ride a bike..and all the OT things and Jesus being akin to training Wheels...Now God takes the training wheels off(end of the age of miracles and Jesus dies..etc)Now we are riding the bike alone and we are wobblin back and forth..we might fall we might not....who knows?..will he catch us? will he let us bruise or knees so that we will be more careful or to see if we get back on the bike?(has it already happened see meek theory above..)

these are all just differnt theories the trick is to try to make one that fits the facts the dual nature of the NT and the OT and why god is so different..why the miracles(if tru)stopped...etc...

god could be just a little green man and this is just some weird lab experiment...

or we could just have made im up by a collective force of will..

my fingers hurt

ED

7. Lounge   -   #7
    BTW:there is a website called Theskepticsannotatedbible.com(i mightave misspelled it) that you might wanna look at...

ED

8. Lounge   -   #8
    The reason i dont believe in religion or god is because everything that is in life, can be explained with science. (except what was before the big bang)

(if you dont believe think of a question and google it )

I just dont understand it.

If we all know the truth, why do people keep reading the bible/s that was written by heaps of people and even has been modified to suit some one and then a new religion begins.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    God must be between my legs........

Only way i can explain my girl saying: Oh, my God!!!

Yogs

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by SensualGardening@18 January 2004 - 12:48
    God must be between my legs........

Only way i can explain my girl saying: Oh, my God!!!

Yogs

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast