Thread: How To Increase P2p Efficiency

Time, money, and thus resources and broadbands are limited, so think of conservation. I have wasted lots of precious bandwidth downloading (thus others limited uploading bandwidth) files with wrong names or files that doesn't work or files that doesn't do what it is intended to. Even if I get a file, I can't use it if it doesn't suit my need. Thus, the file becomes a waste of bandwidth.

Imagine how much better P2P would be if we can download exactly what we want the first time around without having to redownload something else or the same thing because of errors. P2P would be so efficient and useful rather than wasting time, effort and resources. Often times, it becomes more wasteful than to just go out and spend the money and just buy it.

Anyway, I urge everyone not to rename files just to increase search results for one's own files and not to share files that have errors. It would be even better to put descriptions of files and even rate it.

If anyone really wants others to download something, then just post it under requests or verified hashes, then the people who really wants it will download it, thus saving your bandwidth their bandwidth, and thus the community's bandwidth, and ultimately our bandwidth.

Is this message loud and clear enough?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    wow u live in a cave or something?

we all moved on by now

forget kazaa

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@18 January 2004 - 04:41
    wow u live in a cave or something?

we all moved on by now

forget kazaa
    Many of those problems will migrate WITH us.

If downloading for 1 small user is 'faster' if they disable sharing... then the end result will probably be the same.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by Switeck@18 January 2004 - 06:01
    Many of those problems will migrate WITH us.
    U could be correct in the long term if casual FT users migrate to more reliable nets like SoulSeek or the eMule mods, yet this has not happened as of now. Then again, both of these apps have built in safeguards to prevent this problem. (Apps like SoulSeek allow u to build relationships with reliable ppl so u know the quality before dl. eMule and similar mods have fake reporting and filtering thus quickly removing such files from circulation. How many ed2k users have u heard complainig about fakes?)

Even if these nets r corrupted p2p is a fluid enviroment. Folks r always developing new and better apps. Look at the work being done by some members of this forum on SwapGate. Although I don't presently have the time to support these guys as a beta tester or the like, I have every confidence that this is going to be a great app and cannot wait until it is ready for general release. With hard work like this going on how can u be pessimistic?
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by guit_steel@19 January 2004 - 05:12
    Folks r always developing new and better apps.  Look at the work being done by some members of this forum on SwapGate.  Although I don't presently have the time to support these guys as a beta tester or the like, I have every confidence that this is going to be a great app and cannot wait until it is ready for general release.  With hard work like this going on how can u be pessimistic? 
    With so MANY new networks with incompatible protocols popping up, it will mean the days of being able to find 'anything' in one place/network/program is probably gone.

There are ALWAYS people trying to 'cheat the system', and if a file-sharing network is smaller then 1 cheater/leech is proportionally a bigger problem.

Many ISPs are being forced to give in to RIAA's requests to curb legal and illegal file-sharing. MPAA and other organizations are using anti-p2p file-sharing techniques for their own sinister purposes as well.

Even being outside the USA won't neccessarily keep you safe over the next year or 2. There's great effort by international corporations to enforce digital copyrights worldwide -- it's even an ongoing effort in Iraq.

Digital Rights Management will slowly make it harder for the average user to either back up OR share files. Yes, there will probably always be some hackers who can break any code, defeat any hardware, hack into any computer, and do basically the impossible. But even they have their limits and do occassionally get caught.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Switeck@19 January 2004 - 05:16
    Digital Rights Management will slowly make it harder for the average user to either back up OR share files. Yes, there will probably always be some hackers who can break any code, defeat any hardware, hack into any computer, and do basically the impossible. But even they have their limits and do occassionally get caught.
    There's been an 'arms race' from the beginning. Some times the hackers have the upper hand and share the benefits with us, some times the hackees have the upper hand. The only constant is that the pendulam swings back and forth between the two. Why should the future be any different? B)
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by guit_steel+19 January 2004 - 14:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guit_steel @ 19 January 2004 - 14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@19 January 2004 - 05:16
    There&#39;s been an &#39;arms race&#39; from the beginning. Some times the hackers have the upper hand and share the benefits with us, some times the hackees have the upper hand. The only constant is that the pendulam swings back and forth between the two. Why should the future be any different? B) [/b][/quote]
    Because once Pallidium is put into place, there won&#39;t be a level playing field anymore. Once BOTH Intel and AMD start including DRM built into the core of their cpus, it will be harder to get TO the point where hackers can try to crack other encryption/compression/copyprotection schemes.

Because laws like the Digitial Millinnium Copyright Act (DMCA for short) are being applied to ANY reverse-engineering situation on computers, even for stuff that used to be (and SHOULD BE) perfectly legal... hackers are looking at potentially longer jail terms than murderers if they are caught ...and the companies affected by their actions consider their actions to cost them megabucks.

Because politicians and courts now perceive &#39;hackers&#39; to be &#39;terrorists&#39;, the likelyhood that the legal envirnoment for us is getting more and more ugly.

Because even a LARGE PART of public perception feels the same way as politicians and courts. They would rather trade away many of their liberties for the illusion of security.

I think things aren&#39;t looking good at the moment.