Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block Bad Ip Ranges With Za

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    How do I block the peerguardian bad ip ranges with zonealarm without having to add them manually? I have the latest za pro with webfiltering.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    James_Bond_Rulez used to post .xml files containing the addresses to block, but he stopped a while ago...
    He mentionned this page in his posts. You could go and have a look there.

edit: here is JBR's post

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Go here to do it automZA Updateatically

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Gurahl@18 January 2004 - 17:51
    James_Bond_Rulez used to post .xml files containing the addresses to block, but he stopped a while ago...
    He mentionned this page in his posts. You could go and have a look there.

edit: here is JBR's post
    I wish he would keep updating it
    I never got around to learning how to use zaupdater

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Its real easy with the updater now...
    As long as youve backed up your ZA preferences its pretty much a 3 click method after youve installed this on your computer

EDIT: This is a earlier version screenshot..not the latest version(2.0)

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Double Agent
    i stopped updating becuase i believe it is a futile attempt against the riaa/mpaa current tactics and will not be a good defense against them.

they could just as easily hire ppl to do it outside their ip range.

If u really want to be anonymous when u download illegal stuff i just u use www.anonx.com , which supports all p2p platforms and is cheap (6 USD/month)

i stopped using blocklist months ago

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@18 January 2004 - 20:24
    i stopped updating becuase i believe it is a futile attempt against the riaa/mpaa current tactics and will not be a good defense against them.

they could just as easily hire ppl to do it outside their ip range.

If u really want to be anonymous when u download illegal stuff i just u use www.anonx.com , which supports all p2p platforms and is cheap (6 USD/month)

i stopped using blocklist months ago
    I don't think it's FUTILE to block known hostile ranges even if it isn't ALL of them, simply because they use up your bandwidth... even if you're NOT doing anything they deem 'improper'. This is just what the RIAA wants you to believe -- that you are totally powerless to their actions.

However, the more you learn about the networks and how the RIAA works, the more easily it is to formulate a defense. I doubt you've studied the situation much at all, so even if correct in your assessment that the blocklist isn't effective (enough)... it is a premature statement to make without a few more facts about WHY it's ineffective.

It is impossible to make yourself totally safe, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take quite a few steps that WON'T impact your download speeds.

Unfortunately, using a proxy will generally put your download speeds in the crapper. 5 KB/sec may in fact be GOOD unless you're willing to pay big bucks a month for supposedly anonymous proxy services.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Switeck@18 January 2004 - 21:19
    However, the more you learn about the networks and how the RIAA works, the more easily it is to formulate a defense. I doubt you've studied the situation much at all, so even if correct in your assessment that the blocklist isn't effective (enough)... it is a premature statement to make without a few more facts about WHY it's ineffective.
    and what have u studied to make urself so sure the blocklist is so effective?

just because u haven't been caught doesn't mean u wont be in the future.

the worst thing u can do is have the blocklist and think that u wont be caught. It gives ppl the false sense of security.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@19 January 2004 - 02:01
    and what have u studied to make urself so sure the blocklist is so effective?

just because u haven't been caught doesn't mean u wont be in the future.

the worst thing u can do is have the blocklist and think that u wont be caught. It gives ppl the false sense of security.
    Firstly, Peer Guardian and firewalls cannot block UDP packets.

BitTorrent uses UDP packets. Peer Guardian and firewalls cannot help you THERE either -- what's more, people can get ip lists of others attempting to download/upload a torrent file whether they can connect to them or not!

Kazaa NORMALLY uses UDP packets to search for files, unless you are firewalled in Kazaa.

But if you're behind a router and not port-forwarding UDP packets or behind a firewall then searches have to use TCP packets.

The blocklist is probably only about 80% effective even when you use it in conditions where it CAN apply (ie: to TCP packets.) But it is better than nothing.

Some file-sharing networks (such as Gnutella and DC++) only use TCP packets, as they're less likely to be blocked by ISPs anyway. So blocklists CAN be useful there.

Plus, if you're not sharing LOTS of MP3 files, RIAA could almost care less about you. You're simply not worth their trouble. Plus, if you have listing your files by others blocked, then they will have a MUCH harder time getting anything other than a short (partial) list of your shared files from ordinary searches. Also, not using the default ip port 1214 helps a tiny bit too.

There is no guarenteed security -- MANY of the proxys are run by the very groups you may not want finding out about you in the USA... RIAA has also been known to 'bust' the wrong person due to some screwups on their part.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Double Agent
    some very good points

but then if everybody is worried about getting caught all the time there wouldn't be file sharing.

granted the blocklist does provide some protection but it's NOT always 100 percent safe.

BT is the easiest network to catch ppl doing illegal stuff. just grab shadows exp client and get on an illegal torrent, the ip lists are there.. like,..... it's EZ!!!

and I dont care what packets u throw around u still have the ip number stuck with u whenever ur on the internet. TCP and UDP allike, whenever u connect to a supernode, or a tracker, or a peer ur ip is THERE, there is no erasing it.

and u made a good point there with the proxy servers. I only use the group that i "think" is safe, like www.anonx.com, i am familar with the system administartors there and I do server tests for them. I know the folks well because we always talk about things like security issues and p2p and how to improve the proxy service.

They are a company that operate outside of riaa jurisdictions and is setup so that riaa can't get supenoas on them because the company is setup in foreign countries and the in manner that complies with local laws. But they fully support the idea of file sharing and p2p networks.

although i can't say as much for other proxy services....

dont take ur privacy for granted, there is no such thing as "privacy" exist anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast