Thread: Coruption Rename Solution

I recently downloaded a file and had to rename it from a .exe to a .bin but got the error message Access Denied this application may be write protected or is in use by another application .ok i tried all sorts of ways to get around this including safe mode but to no avail but just before i deleted the program I tried going through MS-DoS <Rebooting in MS-DOS> found the file and renamed it to a .bin ,weeee it worked.

I hope this can save a lot of frustration among you B)

2. Games   -   #2
    YES i need to do that&#33; cept how do u do it once youve found the file in dos? i dont know the prompt or whatever to rename it
    thanks

3. Games   -   #3
    Poster
    Use your MS-Dos prompt or in Xp I thinks its Command prompt once at C:&#092;> do the following.
    C:&#092;>rename C:&#092;<or drive where the file is><folder name ie Temp><file name including capitals>

To change say Sim.exe to a bin in Temp on D: drive would be :-

C:&#092;>rename D:&#092;Temp&#092;Sim.exe Sim.bin then press enter, they is one space between the rename D:&#092; and exe Sim don&#39;t forget if they is any captials to wirte them in too.

If at C:&#092;> it looks like this C:&#092;>Windows (or anything) type cd&#092; (press enter) to bring you back to C:&#092;>

4. Games   -   #4
    thanks, i cant get it workin though can u tell me why?:

C:&#092;>rename C:&#092;My Shared Folder&#092;cc generals cd2.bin.exe cc generals cd2.bin

thats what ive typed....but "the syntax of the command is incorrect"
    thank you

5. Games   -   #5
    C:&#092;>rename C:&#092;My Shared Folder&#092;cc generals cd2.bin.exe cc generals cd2.bin

ok using your directory from above try this:

first change your directory to where your file resides :

cd c:&#092;My shared folder&#092;cc generals

if this doesnt work then you have to find the directory a longer way ,plus in msdos it doesnt recognise spaces and renames such as My shared folder to something like this C:&#092;MyShared~1

so first change directory to your root directory with cd..

then look to see what files and directories are in your root with dir/p the /p will make it so you can scan page by page .When you see a directory that you need to such ast C:&#092;Windows then use cd C:&#092;Windows .this would change your prompt to >C:&#092;Windows then repeat this process untill you find yourself in the directory with your file.

On doing this then the command rename file.exe file.bin should work

Try find a reference book on msdos its a little hard to explain and would probably be explained much easier in book ,theres lots of things you can accomplish with ms-dos that cant be done with windows and you would have a greater understanding of how your computer works .But the above explanation should help you in what you need to do . Good luck

6. Games   -   #6
    BANNED
    nice job, thx for tha tip&#33; B)

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    Kzak is right, Dos doesn&#39;t like anything longer than 8 letters then .exe or whatever the extention is so easist way is to make a folder called Temp on C drive say drop the file in there,open notepad rename file (but don&#39;t) copy and paste name to notepad save if you must NOW rename the file to 2.bin(5 letters) the .exe should be hidden go to Dos and rename 2.bin.exe to 2.bin.bin this gets rid of the .exe notice the file is still 5 letters plus extention .bin

After all this open the file in notepad that you saved and again rename the file you have just done to cc generals cd2 NO .bin is required because it is hidden,you should now have your bin file.

I take it the last .exe is hidden.