Thread: Dru500a Bulk Dvd-r Media

Can anyone recommend bulk dvd-r media that a Sony DRU500A will actually use? I've tried two different types so far with no sucess, and it's getting expensive.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Lick My Lovepump
    Find out what your DVD writer supports; theres DVD+R, DVD-R... etc etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Either + or - R or RW. It's multiformat, but I want to use DVD-R because they tend to work better with my stand alone DVD player. So far the only sucess I have had is with Sony brand DVD RW discs.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    u could try getting a firmware update, it might add support for more brands of media.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Yeah, firmware update could help, latest is 2.0H for your model I think.

I have the DRU-510A, I'm not sure how similar the two are but I find the Orange Bulkpaq 4X DVD-Rs to be pretty reliable, only a couple of coasters out of about 50 DVDs written.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm also using Bulkpaq Orange on a DRU500A.
    I've used Datawrite Red Classic in the past, but accidentally ordered some V2 discs and they don't work. There was no advance warning so I'm not buying Datawrite products again. Bulkpaq are cheaper in any case.

You can check out other brands here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Skillian@19 January 2004 - 01:58
    Yeah, firmware update could help, latest is 2.0H for your model I think.
    Be careful with this update. I just installed it and suddenly started getting errors in a cd driver (cdr4_2k.sys). My system would only stay up for about 1 minute before giving a BSOD. However, I disabled that driver and everything now appears to be ok.

Apparently the driver is from Roxio, and is something to do with DirectCD, which is strange because I've never installed any Roxio products on my machine.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    a friend ov mine has got the same problem with that sony drive, the only ones he gets to work is ritek die disc's
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Ritek...I have the 510 but have had excellent results despite the low prices (under a $1.00).