Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading My Rig

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by callum+18 January 2004 - 18:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 18 January 2004 - 18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@18 January 2004 - 20:45
    wat&#39;s up with the ATA100 and the 133? which one do i need? cuz this one and the asus p4p800 one are only ata100. i know they&#39;re for hdds, but which one do i have and wat&#39;s the difference? i&#39;m so confused rite now
    Your current hdds are probably ata130, which means they have a maximum transfer rate of 133MB/sec.

current 7,200-RPM hard drives have trouble saturating even an ATA/100 interface, which is theoretically capable of transferring data at up to 100MB/sec.
    Quote taken from this article

serial ata versus parallel ata

I think ata100 will be fine.

I bought the abit is7-e last week, still haven&#39;t used it yet.
    Been waiting for e-buyer to deliver my new case for 3 weeks [/b][/quote]
    how is it? like are there any probs rite out of the box?

and is my ram overkill? wat&#39;s a good ram for ocing, and it&#39;s too expensive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@18 January 2004 - 23:04
    No problems, I choose it over an asus board that was the exact same price.
    Why did you choose the is7 instead of the cheaper is7-e?
    There is only a couple of differences.

I&#39;m just annoyed that I can&#39;t use it yet, it&#39;ll be the first and last time I use e-buyer.
    My new case was meant to come on the 7th. then after emailing them they said it would come on the 16th, later that day i found out it was now discontiued. They had already taken my money, and when I asked for it back, I was told it had been sent out for delivery. I don&#39;t think they know what they&#39;re doing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by callum+18 January 2004 - 19:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 18 January 2004 - 19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@18 January 2004 - 23:04
    No problems, I choose it over an asus board that was the exact same price.
    Why did you choose the is7 instead of the cheaper is7-e?
    There is only a couple of differences.

I&#39;m just annoyed that I can&#39;t use it yet, it&#39;ll be the first and last time I use e-buyer.
    My new case was meant to come on the 7th. then after emailing them they said it would come on the 16th, later that day i found out it was now discontiued. They had already taken my money, and when I asked for it back, I was told it had been sent out for delivery. I don&#39;t think they know what they&#39;re doing. [/b][/quote]
    yea, wat is the difference between hte is7 and is7e?

can anyone answer my ram question?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@19 January 2004 - 05:11
    i have pretty much the exact same ram (only mine is 3500 and i only have one 512MB stick) and it&#39;s excellent ram...good for overclocking and tight timings...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by 4th gen+19 January 2004 - 01:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen @ 19 January 2004 - 01:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@19 January 2004 - 05:11
    &nbsp;
    i have pretty much the exact same ram (only mine is 3500 and i only have one 512MB stick) and it&#39;s excellent ram...good for overclocking and tight timings... [/b][/quote]
    good. i was wondering if it&#39;s absolutely necessary to successfully oc. cuz i&#39;m pretty sure some ppl don&#39;t have that ram and still oc pretty well. 119 is a bit expensive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@19 January 2004 - 05:19
    good. i was wondering if it&#39;s absolutely necessary to successfully oc. cuz i&#39;m pretty sure some ppl don&#39;t have that ram and still oc pretty well. 119 is a bit expensive.
    have you had a look at Mushkin ram?

it comes highly recommended from members of this board and the OC&#39;ing community and is supposed to be cheaper than corsair...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Hey abu, my friend at neowin highly recommes the P4P800 Deluxe. His settings:

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
    (i865PE Chipset, AMI bIOs v.1014 12/12/2003)

Pentium 4 2.40C (@3.3GHz (D1-Step))
    Corsair TwinX-LL 1.5GB DDR400 (@440.6MHz)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by adamp2p@19 January 2004 - 01:53
    Hey abu, my friend at neowin highly recommes the P4P800 Deluxe. His settings:

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
    (i865PE Chipset, AMI bIOs v.1014 12/12/2003)

Pentium 4 2.40C (@3.3GHz (D1-Step))
    Corsair TwinX-LL 1.5GB DDR400 (@440.6MHz)
    i was looking into that one. here&#39;s my issues:
    1. i don&#39;t have any sata drives
    2. it&#39;s 40-50 more expensive

wat&#39;s his cpu oced to with that setup?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30

Abu, you answer is listed in his specs. 3.3 GHz. I read that this board is able to enable the Intel PAT (Performance Acceleration Technology).

PAT in ASUS P4P800:

The remarkable thing about ASUS P4P800 mainboard is the fact that ASUS engineers allegedly managed to enable PAT technology in it, which is a prerogative of a more expensive i875P chipset. However, ASUS had to give up these attractive statements under Intel’s inevitable pressure later on, there is just a short mention of some HyperPath technology on their web-site right now. Let’s take a look at the description of this mysterious HyperPath technology:

&nbsp; &nbsp; HyperPath provides a short cut for data transfer between the CPU and memory by bypassing redundant mechanisms included in conservative chipset designs. The ASUS innovation significantly shortens latency time and enhances performance without sacrificing stability. Before implementing the advanced technology, ASUS&#39; engineering team conducted thorough and stringent tests to strike a perfect balance between performance and reliability.
    Read the entire review here

From what I understand, you don&#39;t need to buy the Deluxe model even to get this feature.PAT in ASUS P4P800

Oh, and Abu, my friend,

"P4C800-E Deluxe" OC&#39;ing tips etc. That is not the exact mobo you want, but the bios and general functionality should be similar.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast