Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bomb Joke

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2

Dumb Bitch

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3

Looks like Kelly Osbourne has landed herself in some trouble. She is going to grounded for sure once dad finds out.

I guess the signs right there at the checkpoints that tell people not to joke with the security people were too vague, eh.

Those warning signs have been there since before I can remember, you'd think she had never been to an airport before.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I think she might be flying home soon though.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    stupid americans always take things too seriously

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45
    We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I would expect she would know better after Lockerbie and numerous IRA shenanigans.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles,

There are big signs right there telling you not to joke with these people. Did she think she was original?

She had to be arrested for essentially "disturbing the peace". How would the security people know that she was just a silly girl and not acting as a distraction to allow others to sneak something through.

If we play favorites with her, just because she is an innocent little British girl, it would be considered "profiling".

I think a hefty fine and a few spankings will see her on her way home, with a lesson learned and a message sent.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by hobbes@20 January 2004 - 20:00

I think a hefty fine and a few spankings will see her on her way home, with a lesson learned and a message sent.
    I take you made a citizen's arrest and execution of sentence here.

She was perhaps a little ill-advised in her comments. I think even with signs etc., we still get taken by surprise by how seriously people treat "asides". No doubt this will serve as a reminder for us to bite our tongues.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 18:45

Biggles, you couldn't be more wrong.

People have tried the same stupid "jokes" at UK airports, and have ended up in court because of them. These strict restrictions have been in force at UK airports for several years, the US is only just catching up in this respect.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Really?

I have no recollection of these cases.

I travel regularly and have always found the security staff vigilant but human.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast