Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dvd-rom Drive Blown My Cd ! Why ?

Poster
    I put my CD-R into my Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616Q (16x/48x) and it starts to read like always.But then the CD is beeing twisted so fast arround inside my CD drive until it finaly blows into thousand peaces.I spend hours to get the peaces out of the drive.

It was a normal CD (no cheap shit) and it had important data on it (Norton Antivirus 2003, PowerQuest Partition Magic Pro 8, Mp3 Music, Photos, ... etc.) and everything is lost now

The only thing that I am asking myself is WHY ??? Why did that happen' ???
    The drive was two moths old.Will it eat my CDs again if I put one into the drive again ??? ?

Please reply ??? Did that happen' to someone else too ?? :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Ya man, it happened to me a couple days ago. It just started spinning really fast then BOOM, no more cd. And it had all the drivers for my mobo and shit.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I'm sorry man.The biggest problem is that I have a sitty 56k connectio so it is hard for me to get all that stuff again back.It would take weeks if not months.

I'm realy pissed of man

I will go tommorow to the shot where I bought it and bring it back.I have 12 months waranty on that piece of shit.I want a new one, damn it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Did it ruin your dvd-rom?
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Not I think it works fine now.I put a CD in and it reads it.But I will not put a DVD into the drive, it could go crazy again and destroy my cd.Don't want to risc that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If your going to excahnge it try to get a different brand for teh same price.

My toshibe is 16x\48x just like ur drive, plus its really quiet, and looks cool too. Got it for only $30 Canadian

I wouldnt go for the same brand because it would run a risk of same thing happening again.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have noticed some cd/dvd-roms done like some cd's with autorun, ps2 games, or some scratched cd's and they spin up really fast. Like im pretty sure they spin up more that what the drive can do.

When i put in street fighter alpha 3 (a psx game) my dvd rom even my burner go mental and the whole PC starts to shake

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Well, I didn't had any problems with my other two drives, CD-ROM 52x & CD-RW 40x12x40, and they are from Samsung too.

They are working very well and very quiet.Never realised big noise or something.The yran always quiet and work efficient.

Maybe I'll take another brand ... don't know right now, I'm still shocked about what happend

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I saw an article somewhere where this had happened and what it turned out to be was the Disc had a tiny minute crack in it near the middle(so small, the naked eye couldnt see) and had disintergrated.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I dont understand why the companies that make the cd roms or dvd roms dont have an RPM limiter or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast