Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Thsoe Of You Who Say...

that you can't uninstall windows media player, can't you uninstall it through the control panel > add/remove program > add/remove windows components?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Not that I know of...
    try this way though

Type this into a run box...START----RUN....then enter this...rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

Edit :sorry, your right you can remove windows media player versions 7-8 from the control panel , but for WMP9 youll need to do it my way

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    oh i see. they should be more specific in the windows components list then. they should write "windows media player 7-8" rather than just "windows media player"

anyway, where did you get your info? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Actually I think the AddRemove way is just for removing Icons and associations, not actually removing the program :

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5

ha, so there's pretty much no point it sounds like. it says like 0.0 Mb next to the program too.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by ninjamonkey@20 January 2004 - 20:16

ha, so there's pretty much no point it sounds like. it says like 0.0 Mb next to the program too.
    Yea, my point precisely lol. Shortcuts are like less than 0kb in size, so that's probably why

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ninjamonkey@21 January 2004 - 02:41
    oh i see. they should be more specific in the windows components list then. they should write "windows media player 7-8" rather than just "windows media player"

anyway, where did you get your info? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.
    I found that information out from a Microsoft tecnical support guy I rung up ages ago to help me out with something that was going wrong

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by DWk+21 January 2004 - 03:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 21 January 2004 - 03:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ninjamonkey@20 January 2004 - 20:16

ha, so there&#39;s pretty much no point it sounds like.&nbsp; it says like 0.0 Mb next to the program too.
    Yea, my point precisely lol. Shortcuts are like less than 0kb in size, so that&#39;s probably why [/b][/quote]
    Even when youve uninstalled WMP from windows the installation files etc are still on your computer...Thats why the 0Kb icon files still in add/remove windows components..
    Wanna know why its called "Add/Remove Windows Components"?
    Cause you can install WMP from there without a XP Cd or getting online...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Windows Media Player is integrated into Windows, same with Internet Explorer. AFAIK upgrading means overwriting the integrated parts as well as adding new files.

The only way I can know so far to remove them so far is XPLite. Watch out though - Last time I checked, it was still experimental/unstable, so if you remove WMP you may end up seeing a few errors.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Java Boy@20 January 2004 - 20:45
    Even when youve uninstalled WMP from windows the installation files etc are still on your computer...Thats why the 0Kb icon files still in add/remove windows components..
    Wanna know why its called "Add/Remove Windows Components"?
    Cause you can install WMP from there without a XP Cd or getting online...
    Actually that might not be the case. They could have all programs stored twice on your Windows folder (like for example, Driver Cache), so that&#39;s probably why, if you removed it "successfully", you would still be able to install again. Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast