Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hd Problem

Benno's Avatar Poster
    cwctv if appereantly this is not the problem you know what else it could be?

@Livy
    I dont know Im always scared of the unknown

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    All I can find is this at Norton's site have you had or done what it say's before using disk doctor.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt....src=bar_sch_nam

As for this I don't know I never use secondery programs like Partition Magic etc as a matter of fact in norton I only use the anti-virus which is 2000 with updates and Norton Utilities Integrator to keep the registry clean once a month.
    Sorry and I am still using ME.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    The File Allocation Table for a 32GB partition could be as much as 256MB in size depending on cluster size, and would be 4MB in size with the maximum cluster size. Because of the way the drivers for Win98 are written, this was adopted as the maximum partition size for Win98, which is why the version of fdisk supplied with Win98 only permits partitions up to 32GB.

WinME provides a version of fdisk which can create partitions greater than 32GB. However, these are NOT guaranteed to work with Win98. For this reason, Win2k and later will only create Fat32 partitions up to 32GB, although they are capable of handling partitions up to 2TB.

Win98 uses 4KB clusters for partitions up to 8GB. This gives a FAT size of 8MB. It is not really suited to handling a FAT which is larger than this. In order to keep the size of the FAT down, it is necessary to increase the cluster size. If the cluster size were increased to the maximum 32KB, this would allow a partition size of 64GB if you were to keep the FAT size below 8MB.

However, an upgrade to Win2k at least is recommended if you want to handle disks of that size.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Or even XP, If you have the Ram for it. Processor should be fine no matter what you have, hell, a 486 SX will run Win98.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12