Thread: Why Has My Download Speed Dropped?

OK, brand new here so bear with me. I have a cable connection. I have K-lite.

When I do a search to download music, the max bandwidth was always 1204. Now, it is only 669. I didnt change anything that I know of.

The only thing I loaded lately on my puter was a game (Neverwinter Nights). Not sure if that means anything but I thought someone would ask.

Is there a setting to fix this.

PS - I did do a search but I couldn't find this prob. Just people complaining about slow downloads.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Bandwidth is set by a user from who you download. Nothing can be done with this issue.

Look for speed up tips. In the Tips.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    Originally posted by djohn3853@21 January 2004 - 20:53
    OK, brand new here so bear with me. I have a cable connection. I have K-lite.

When I do a search to download music, the max bandwidth was always 1204. Now, it is only 669. I didnt change anything that I know of.

The only thing I loaded lately on my puter was a game (Neverwinter Nights). Not sure if that means anything but I thought someone would ask.

Is there a setting to fix this.

PS - I did do a search but I couldn't find this prob. Just people complaining about slow downloads.
    your download speed depends on the # of sources for it and their upload speed, anddon't be fooled by what you see in the search window they are not an indication of who is available for connection so change supernodes to see if you get lucky, also use localized supernodes, also try changing ports, and lower your upload bandwidth,remove the no ip sources from your dat files and see if it helps

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    lol musleman must have all the day in the clipboard that

this forum's most popular phrase

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    roflmao

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I don't think you guys get it. I'm not just making a general complaint that my dowloads are too slow. What I want to know is, what has happened that caused this drop in bandwidth.

I have been running k-lite for a year now, and when searching for a popular song where I get many hits (like 25 or more) the max bandwidth was always 1204. Now, as I stated, this max number is only 669.

I didn't change anything that I know of. I don't fiddle with the settings cause I don't know what I'm doing. (example, I don't know what a supernode means)

the 1204 bandwidth was great and would give me a fast download.

Again, to sum up, why has this changed?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    As I said, bandwidth is set by users and if you get lower bandwidth in your search view it only means that sources lowerd their upload bandwidth. Nothing can be done about it from your side.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    No offense Autumn, but what you describe wouldn't explain why I can't see any bandwidth greater than 669 when I do a search.

If I search for something popular (lets say Audioslave for example). I get, probably, 50+ hits on a manual search. The top 5 or 6 will have a bandwidth of 669. Previously, the top 5 or 6 would be 1204.

I'm not talking about one user. So everybody lowered there upload speed?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Maybe high bandwidth users are offline or maybe they don't share thoes files anymore, or maybe users connected to your SuperNode have set their bandwidth like this or they are being restricted by theirs ISPs. Tis not an explenation but only presumptions, however all of them seem reasonable.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    BANNED
    Originally posted by djohn3853@22 January 2004 - 20:28
    No offense Autumn, but what you describe wouldn't explain why I can't see any bandwidth greater than 669 when I do a search.

If I search for something popular (lets say Audioslave for example). I get, probably, 50+ hits on a manual search. The top 5 or 6 will have a bandwidth of 669. Previously, the top 5 or 6 would be 1204.

I'm not talking about one user. So everybody lowered there upload speed?
    if you are refering to the bandwith you see in search window then that has to do with what you got last time, don't even pay attention to that, it will change as you download, there is no problem there, you must remember that alot of stuff in search are an estimate