Thread: .wmv Files Won't Play At All

Yes, I have the most recent codec pack, and I am using 2.4.3.
    I have also scoured this site for help, yet I have found none.

The only way I can get mp3 files to play is if I double click them, and open them in my media player (realONE).

Movies WILL play in Kazaa, but .wmv files won't play at all; Not even in Windows Media Player.

Does anyone have any insight on this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    First of all get rid of the realone player and download winamp.
    It's much better,and best of all it's free.
    You can get it here.
    And about the .wmv files:Is it that you can't play any .wmv files or just some?If it's only some files that refuse to play,you should check them out with videolan.Download that here.
    If it still doesn't play with video lan then the file is corrupt and all it's good for is the bin.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    put it in gspot and see if it can render it

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    what version of WMP do you have?
    try opening it with Mplayer2.exe (WMP v6.4) if you just need WM8 codec to play it, Mplayer2.exe can download it without having to install the full WMP v9

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    1. I used WinAmp, still didn't work.

2. I have (had) WMP Version 9.x

3. I rendered it in Gspot, and it still didn't work. I played it IN Winamp, WITH the full codec pack installed, AFTER it was successfully rendered in Gspot. Still didn't work.

4. I can't play ANY .wmv files

5. NO mp3s will play in the Kazaa player. (It'll work in Winamp, so this isn't high priority right now, but it would be nice if it would play there.)

6. Now what?

7. Thank you all for your time and help.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    hmm that happend to me a few times i just reinstalled Windows Media Player that helped

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    reinstall windows media player thats what kazaa uses to run the theater.
    did you try Mplayer2.exe?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by Vargas@23 January 2004 - 02:11
    reinstall windows media player thats what kazaa uses to run the theater.
    It worked. Thank you so much. I just recently installed Kazaa Lite 2.4.x and I thought I would upgrade WMP as well. That's where the mess-up occured. I thought a fresh start would work but... whatever. Problem is solved now, thank you so much.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I recently had this problem, its not klite at all, its all in Windows Media Player 9.

They've updated the install on Microsoft.com to fix it, though, so anyone reading this with the same problem should go there and re-install it. It keeps other players from working too, so it can be confusing. It integrates with the OS on a very deep level and on some files it just says "NO" Nothin to do but upgrade it with the new install.