Thread: Networking Query

Poster
    not sure if this is the rite place to post...

ive set up a home network [this pc, the host] and a laptop, it works fine sorta, i can share the files etc but i cant connect to the internet using the laptop. ive tried to set up a VPN using the laptop [not sure if that was the rite thing to do] but it asks for a username and password wen i try to connet to the VPN

so ne ideas of how i can sort this out pls?

thanks in advance
    SP

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You need to set up internet connection sharing on the PC.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Is there a dummies guide or sumthin for that?
    SP

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    What kind of internet connection do you have?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    it is an ADSL USB modem
    SP

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    is the laptop windows xp?

if so then run the home network config wizard and choose this computer connects to antoher computer to access the internet. then complete the wizard and make sure every computer is on the same workgroup (the name of your network) then it should connect. If not then you need to install internet connection sharing on the host which im sure someone else can help you do as i dont know how.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by SP1@22 January 2004 - 14:35
    not sure if this is the rite place to post...

ive set up a home network [this pc, the host] and a laptop, it works fine sorta, i can share the files etc but i cant connect to the internet using the laptop. ive tried to set up a VPN using the laptop [not sure if that was the rite thing to do] but it asks for a username and password wen i try to connet to the VPN

so ne ideas of how i can sort this out pls?

thanks in advance
    You can still use the vpn connection. Just right click the connection icon and select properties tab and go to the user section of accounts allowed to connect. Check the box under your username and then when it ask you for the password enter your username and password.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    ive been playing around with it and been looking into diff sources. yea the laptop is xp n i did use the wizard, but alas it wasnt that easy.
    i&#39;ll try shn&#39;s idea 2moro as the network is buggered and im too tired.
    SP

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    ok ive sorted out the prob, stupid me was sharing the wrong internet gateway

ive got one more question hehe

wen i load up zone alarm i cant connect to the net using my laptop, i checked the logs n found out zap was blocking the outgoing connection, i added the source ip to accept the connection. just wondering if its safe and will i be able to use msn, bt, kl on my laptop?

lol bet im gettin annoying

ty in advance
    SP