Thread: Some Worries B4 Buying Dvd Burner

Poster
    yea, i been wanting to get a dvd burner for my old amd 1900 machine for a while and i saw this one at newegg. the current dvd writer i have have no problems, but i read a review from someplace mentioning user of this drive should updates the firmware for it to work at 4x w/ most disc brand. i saw somewhere on this forum that somebody said they updated their firmware and it causes systym instability and drive failure...is this true? can updating the firmware do that? i dont want to waste 83 dollars.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Very Large Member
    Firmware upgrades are always at your own risk.No guarantees.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    firmware updates shouldnt really cause problems if its done properly. Its very rare for it to result in a damaged/unstable drive. This happens if there is a power loss or crash during upgrade or the use of the wrong firmware for the drive .

In the case of this guy it could have been bad code thats caused the probs.
    Robert00000

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    My suggestion if your using Windows XP don't worry about just plug in and go XP should have the nessacarry drivers

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by serpico@23 January 2004 - 05:41
    My suggestion if your using Windows XP don't worry about just plug in and go XP should have the nessacarry drivers
    hes on about the firmware. not drivers.it kinda like a bios, or os for the drive

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    so should if i buy it, i shouldnt have any problems updating the firmware?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mr. Elmo@23 January 2004 - 15:53
    so should if i buy it, i shouldnt have any problems updating the firmware?
    No, updating the firmware of the drive shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as you have the correct firmware update everything should go fine
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    ok, ty for all the help...just order it along w/ a new 80Gb WD hdd...so basically everything in the comp is new except for the cpu.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ive upgraded the firmware on my mitsumi cd-rw a few times, and all went fine