Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Air Cooling

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Time to move into an igloo.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #122
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@31 January 2004 - 21:18
    Time to move into an igloo.
    By tomorrow night I should have snowbanks right outside my window.

We know how handy they can be....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #123
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    clocker i thought you said that your first computer was a emachines? this one looks like one somebody built.

plus i did an experiment today, i wanted to try out teh computer outside (in my garage which is pretty cold but no wind) to see what kind of temps i would get, but once i got out there to start setting up my computer i got too cold and luckily i hadnt setup to muc and just took it back inside kind of upset that i couldnt do it but then got teh idea to try it out in my laundry room (which has a vent going straight outside and thas cold air coming straight into the dryer lol) so i unhooked the vent pipe and opened up the computer then put the vent blowing air onto my cpu, and started her up. I got pretty good temps, around 10-15c runnign folding@home, not too bad, i dont think enough cold air was blowing through when i tried it (-4c outside).

overall not too bad, is this sortof what you are doing? (except not gonna be in a laundry room lol)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #124
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Isn't that an MSI motherboard?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #125
    overall not too bad, is this sortof what you are doing? (except not gonna be in a laundry room lol)
    Precisely.
    No, it's a Biostar.
    clocker i thought you said that your first computer was a emachines? this one looks like one somebody built.
    My first comp was an eMachines.
    This was the first case that I built up. I kept it for about 3 months and then began my ill-advised love affair with the Xaser.
    Life has been hell ever since.
    My advice...never fall for cheap perfume.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #126
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@1 February 2004 - 00:59
    Precisely.
    No, it's a Biostar.
    My first comp was an eMachines.
    This was the first case that I built up. I kept it for about 3 months and then began my ill-advised love affair with the Xaser.
    Life has been hell ever since.
    My advice...never fall for cheap perfume.
    Or flashy clothing, or large bays, or the ability to get a nice big peep on whats on the inside.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #127
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Hehehehe, i knew you could do it clocker, hareness the power of the friggen cold air...
    Biostars are rock solid cheap mobos that never fail, but fail to harness the full potential power of the componets... I like them, for server comps etc...

Sounds like a plan stan, go for it, show us some readings... Take your time, HAVE PHUN!!!

See ya in 5 hours

8. Software & Hardware   -   #128
    Here are some pics of Muffin's new skin...

First the front.
    Multiple fans of course....all set up as exhausts.
    The two 80mm's are pulling air over the HDD which has the two lowest drive bays all to itself.
    The two little 50mm's are sucking air from the very top of the lower floppy bay which is where the PSU is mounted.
    Lower down, visible through the grillwork, is the 120mm hole that is the main vent for the PSU. If necessary I can mod the front bezel and install a fan here, but so far the exhaust air isn't really very hot so I'm gonna ride with it as it is.

Now for the side...

Difficult to photograph well...especially when you are a no-nothing camera wise.
    Besides the obvious major Muffin fan panel ( which I'm sure my vid card is just lovin), I'm quite proud of the PSU setup. The circuit board is mounted vertically on the outside (visible) bay wall, which leaves the heatsinks parallel to the floor and easily able to be cooled by the two 80mm fans mounted on the bay back.
    The camera is a cruel mistress...in actuality, the wiring is pretty neat, not the disorganized nest that it looks like in the pic.

I have two filler panels left to make...I ran out of Sintra and will have to scrounge some more tomorrow.
    I also have to check out what kind of ducting I want to use so I can make the appropriate sized holes in the left sidepanel to feed the Muffins.
    With the right sidepanel installed and the left one off I am Folding at 32°C. When the furnace goes into sleep mode ( at 10PM) I expect that those temps will go down.

After I clean up my disaster area workspace and take a day or so off to rest and gather some baseline data, I'll build the window fanpanel and install some outside ducting and then we shall see...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #129
    BANNED
    That looks like Morpheus's Neb.

Well done, my friend B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #130
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Very pretty!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213