Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Cooling

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Hmmm............................................................................................

nice find clocker i have such a store near me called the Yard store... very kick ass... i have not however been having much time recently ince i have started to mess with the programming side of me... and when spring comes i will undoubtably start skateboarding again.... I wish you success and if not at least try try again...

Air cooling can work if manipulated by the right mind, i think you are one of the few up to par...

Also do you have a DB meter?? how loud are those??? mayby a sound file of them would be great!!! no just a guess/real measurement or approximation will do... Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    DWk,
    The panel is 33"x20".

VB,
    Next addition will be wings and a rudder.

SciMan,
    At full rip the six fans are just slightly louder than a 747 at takeoff.

Livy &VB,
    We'll see about the relay...as much as possible I'd like to keep the wiring for this simple, but it's certainly a possibility for the future.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    do you think you'll be adding any more fans/cooling in the future on this project?

i really admire your hard work and dedication, for what it's worth
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by 4th gen@23 January 2004 - 06:49
    do you think you'll be adding any more fans/cooling in the future on this project?

After I install the seven 120mm and two 80mm fans I don't think there will be enough sheetmetal left to mount any more fans.
    If there is, I'm sure that I'll at least think about it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by clocker@23 January 2004 - 14:40
    Livy &VB,
    We'll see about the relay...as much as possible I'd like to keep the wiring for this simple, but it's certainly a possibility for the future.
    adding a realy is very simple, you conect one end up to the 12v rail on ur psu, and the other side the live wire for the fans, then output to the fans, and when it turns on, the fans turn on.

you may not even need external wiring, will draw a diag later if it will help

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Thanks Livy, but not necessary.
    I know exactly how relays work, when I rewired my car I relayed everything, I'm just not sure I'll need to do it on this project.
    I need to actually start mounting the PSU and the new wiring for the fans to see how much space I have available ( and where it is).
    Keep in mind that PhaseII involves hiding all of the wiring, so the less, the better.
    In fact, it's very likely that, flying in the face of modern practice, I shall be using ribbon cables for all my drives....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Filesharinghelp.com
    This project really interests me alot! i wish i could get some (cheap) 120mm fans!

Keep us posted please!

btw, where are you going to mount all of these fans?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Lite,
    I described the layout earlier.
    With any luck I should have all the fans mounted by tonight and I'll post more pics.
    As soon as I finish my coffee ( a real necessity to get me moving) I'll start stripping Sprocket down. Once bare, mounting the fans is really no big deal, but I also have to make several other changes to make PhaseII possible so I could get bogged down...plus, I'll have to find another PC to post from as Sprocket will be dead in the water for a few days.
    I've been thinking about/planning for this for a few days now, so I have a pretty good idea of the constuction sequence...I just need to get off my butt and start.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hey clocker. You could add the relay and wiring right inside your power supply and install a flush mount AC socket.

A bit like the one in this picture. Even one without a ground would be cool.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    VB, that may be the way to go...
    I have a question about PSUs for you-
    I am planning on removing mine from it case entirely...the circuitboard will be mounted to the case floor ( with appropriate standoffs/isolators, natch).
    Will I have problems with EMI emissions? Does the stock case provide any shielding?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast