Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Cooling

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Since I first put my PC together in early August I have probably not gone longer than 5 days without changing something. I am an inveterate tinkerer and my computer has been the focus of my attention...some of you ( the truly interested or the desperately bored) may recall the various incarnations poor Sprocket has has been forced into.
    Recently she was watercooled, but poor performance, due to substandard components, has brought me back to aircooling. My next PC will be watercooled from the start, but Sprocket is now fully committed to being aircooled.

Fully committed in this case means big fans and lots of 'em. No more pussyfooting about, no sir.

A month or so ago, I visited one of my favorite haunts, an ancient surplus store that has been in the same location for over 50 years. This place has an astounding amount of crap in it, I rarely can get out in less than 2 hours...if you can imagine it, it's probably in there- the trick is finding it.
    While wandering around I spotted this panel of fans, but it wasn't what I was searching for at the time so I ignored it.
    Today I went back and bought it.

It is a monster...six 120mm by 38mm aluminum bodied fans in brand new condition. I have absolutely no idea what it was originally intended for.
    The store's policy is no returns on electrical items, but they will hook your item up and check that it works befor you buy. When I made it to the checkout counter, the lady couldn't manage to dig up anyone to test these fans ( who knows where everyone was hiding...) so she said she'd knock $10 off the price if I'd buy it as is.

Well, YEAH!
    So, instead of $29.95 I paid $19.95.
    Basically, $3.50 per fan, including fingerguards and wiring.
    How can you go wrong?
    Here she is...

The panel itself is stainless steel ( I'm pretty sure), but I shan't be using that on this project ( I don't think). The fans, while dusty, are in mint condition, it's hard to imagine that this panel was ever installed/used.
    The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that these fans are not 12volt...they are, in fact, 110v.
    This is just fine with me, I would have been leery of hooking these babies up to my PSU anyway. I hooked them up when I got home and, as expected, they all worked. Worked is an understatement...this thing is almost a hovercraft, it moves some serious air. Then I spliced in a fan rheostat and they will go from silent to full song smoothly and with no hum. Next I'm going to experiment with a wall light switch/dimmer and see how that works.
    At any rate, I will have to wire in a separate plug and run these completely independant of the PSU, no big whoop really.

So, in addition to mounting six 120mm flowmonsters, I am also relocating and rewiring the PSU.
    All of this relocating/rewiring/hacking & installing is PhaseI.

PhaseII will be the beauty part...I'm not saying what it is, but I'll tell you that it includes extensive use of blue mirrored Plexi and the complete ( I hope) stealthing of all the wiring.

Let the fun begin!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    WOW, really cool what you got there, i wish i had time and money to to start serious modding, cuz everything i have done so far is painting and opening some 80MM holes to my case, i think you should fan controllers to each of those fans...

Pleaz post pics of PhaseII and PhaseI :music1:

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    year 2004 is going to be great!
    lucky rich bastard

tht is a good deal!
    keep us updated ALL THE TIME!

My Blog
    I'm still here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@23 January 2004 - 00:16
    lucky rich bastard

tht is a good deal!
    yep. u r a lucky rich bastard. how r u gonna use that panel? or r u just taking out each fan separatly?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I am not using the panel at all.

3 fans go on the case roof as exhausts.
    1 goes in the case front, 1 on the floor and 1 on the back wall- all three as intakes.

2x 80mm also go on the lower front wall to cool the relocated PSU and 1 more 120mm goes on the mobo wall to cool the back of the CPU socket ( there is currently a 80mm fan in this position).

I already have the three roof holes cut/drilled/ready to mount the fans. I only need 3 more holes to route the wiring into the case.
    The front and rear case walls will need some serious hacking to fit these fans properly and trim around them. I will make external trim panels out of black Sintra to make the back look respectable. The inside will have to wait for PhaseII.
    Mounting the fans will only take a few hours, I think.
    Modding the PSU may take as long as a whole day.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Clocker, I admire your ambition. Wait, that is an understatment...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@22 January 2004 - 22:16
    lucky rich bastard

tht is a good deal!
    20 dollars is rich? Wow I never knew I was rich

How big is the panel clocker? 'Cause I see that's somewhat bigger than the regular tower cases.

Well anyways... keep it up B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You could get a relay hooked up to the power supply to control when the fans would turn on. That would make it so they turn on with the computer's power switch.

Your whole PC is turning into a hovercraft.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    just an idea about the fans, could u not hook them up to a relay hooked up to your 12v rail so that when ur pc is turned on, the fans come on, instead of a seperate switch.

edit: god damn it, virtual got there 1st

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast