Thread: Dial In For Dial Up

I've got a pentium II (233) w/ 128 mgs o' ram and a 56 k dial up connestion. Does anyone have any advice for klite settings? or do I just have to get used to 0.13 kb per sec? :helpsmile:

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BANNED
    Originally posted by sovietcong@23 January 2004 - 15:21
    I've got a pentium II (233) w/ 128 mgs o' ram and a 56 k dial up connestion. Does anyone have any advice for klite settings? or do I just have to get used to 0.13 kb per sec? :helpsmile:
    56 divided by 8 = 7, this is your download speed, till you get a faster connection there is no way of raising it.

but even after that remember:

your download speed depends on the # of sources for it and their upload speed.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by sovietcong@23 January 2004 - 14:21
    Eliminate/disable ANYTHING else that could use up your limited 56k's speed while trying to run KL++ -- remove spyware/adware using Ad Aware and/or SpyBot, remove viruses/trojans using very up-to-date antivirus software, do a Disk Cleanup at least once a week, do a Scandisk at least half that often, and do a Defrag if you want a little more 'speed' out of your hard drive.

Set KL++ to only upload to 1 person at a time at 24 kilobits/sec (3 KB/sec) -- if you share at all, that is. KL++'s installation wizard may be able to set upload speed to only 16 kilobits/sec (2 KB/sec) -- if your connection's not too good, use that speed instead. Block listing of your files, you're probably not going to be online long enough to give someone more than 1 MP3 anyway -- so having people get your full shared list is silly. Limit downloads to about 5 -- that way in theory you could get 5 running at ~1 KB/sec each. Don't do a lot of auto search more when you already have enough sources for your downloads to begin -- searching uses quite a bit of speed/bandwidth, particuarly if you're getting many search results back.