Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: About To Install Linux

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by haxor41789@23 January 2004 - 16:10
    I use SuSE 9.0 Pro. Power users should use either SuSE or Gentoo. You would be better off going with Mandrake or Slackware.
    Suse desktop is not for power users. Only The SUSE LINUX Server Family is. Gentoo is though. Omg slackware..........for a n00b? Thats a no no.

@uNz[i

Is that gnome 2.2 or 2.4?

Looks good. B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    iI think it's Gnome 2.4

I was too busy trying to learn how to access my A: drive to be paying much attention to version numbers... I'm such a Linux n00b

I played with that distro till the sun came up.. and I'll definately be going back for more.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@23 January 2004 - 16:46
    iI think it's Gnome 2.4

I was too busy trying to learn how to access my A: drive to be paying much attention to version numbers... I'm such a Linux n00b

I played with that distro till the sun came up.. and I'll definately be going back for more.
    Your a: drive should be "/dev/fd0"

Or just use the disk mounter Im sure there is one in 2.4

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    h1
    Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 23:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 23:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-haxor41789@23 January 2004 - 16:10
    I use SuSE 9.0 Pro. Power users should use either SuSE or Gentoo. You would be better off going with Mandrake or Slackware.
    Suse desktop is not for power users. Only The SUSE LINUX Server Family is. Gentoo is though. Omg slackware..........for a n00b? Thats a no no.

@uNz[i

Is that gnome 2.2 or 2.4?

Looks good. B) [/b][/quote]
    Slack was what I started with, yes there was a curve, but it wasn&#39;t too difficult.

I am very happy with SuSE now. Gentoo is also very nice, I&#39;ve given it a try before.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Yeah.. I found the disk mounter after reading the help files... I had to learn how to mount a floppy and format it so I could save that screenshot.... All in all, it was a very educational night.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    I think these live cds are just what linux needs to become a mainstream desktop os

join teh revolution

:gunsmile: :gunsmile:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I wanna download Mandrake on but its on 3 cds. Also will i be able to run it from the cd.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I d/l&#39;ed Marndrake v9.2 recently to try out Linux. I was looking for Redhat (I&#39;d heard alot bout it and guess it was popular) but they were messing around with distros (with v9.0 being phased out and Fedora being phased in). It wasn&#39;t too bad to install and runs fine. I stick with windows still though as I need to sit down and configure Mandrake properly.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@24 January 2004 - 09:23
    I wanna download Mandrake on but its on 3 cds. Also will i be able to run it from the cd.
    MandrakeMove is the single disk live version, which means it&#39;ll run straight from the CD.

The file you&#39;re after is called MandrakeMove-i586.iso - 631348 KB
    Edit: ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/iso/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@23 January 2004 - 17:53
    In the time it will atke you to download all thoose iso&#39;s you can have mandrake installed in less time than that if you do an ftp network install from a mandrake mirror.

All you have to do is download a small 1 to 2 meg boot image and use rawrite for windows to write it to a floppy. Rawrite For Windows

You have to use a server that has the o.s. files and not just the iso. When you get to mandrake download page just look for this:

Mandrake Linux 9.2 for i586 and higher

Here is an example of a mirror server with the o.s. files.......good bandwidth too.

ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/mandrake/9.2/i...ges/network.img

Once you write it to a floppy you just boot from the floppy and follow the installation instructions. You should have at least 2 to 3 mirror ftp addresses written down for the install because it will ask you for the exact ftp link and the directory. And if one does not work or you put in the wrong address you wont have to boot into windows just to find the address of another.........have more than one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast