Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About To Install Linux

hey_suburbia's Avatar Poster
    I have set up a partition, and I have two versions of Linux ready to go.

Redhat 9.0
    SuSE

what version of linux (possibly other versions) would give me the best experience with Linux, I'm basically looking for an alternative to Windows and need it to do basic desktop stuff, I'm not running a server. Maybe some video rendering, 3d.... Which Linux version has the best compatiability? Is there a "front-runner" in the Linux world?

What version of linux do you use? I'm just over-whelmed by the number of versions out there and can't decide. Which one is gonna last?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I suggest to use Mandrake Linux or Knoppix both are very good distro's... If you're a real Linux n00b, Mandrake is yours....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I am using red hat 9 but people tell me that slackware is really good and it is not hard for newbies (I am trying to learn linux too)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    hey_suburbia's Avatar Poster
    How do you like Red hat?

Red Hat seems to be the one I always here about.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by hey_suburbia@23 January 2004 - 14:56
    How do you like Red hat? 

Red Hat seems to be the one I always here about.
    Red hat is dead, unless you want to pay 180 bucks for a boxed copy and support that most experienced linux users dont even need.

The only distro that will go further in development is the Fedora project, which is an ok distro but It will always be for enthusiast and never be capable of running on live systems. You can still find copies of older versions of red hat. The most recent is red hat 9 (aside from feora). But pretty soon they will drop all of that as they already get enough money from their partners like cisco and other big companies that require rhct or rhce certification from red hat and only redhat.

I still use red hat linux advanced server 2.1 but I run it on a machine for production purposes and was forced to pay for a support liscence every year even though I did not need it. Fedora still has a long way to go. So unless you want to be recovering from a crash every other day i suggest you switched to a more stable distro. But there are good tutorials on this site for the fedora project. http://fedoranews.org/

Also some other links for distros that I posted previously.

https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=95648

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I just tried my first Linux distro today... and it was pretty sweet.
    Morphix is a Live Linux distro based on a combination of Debian and Knoppix.
    You can read about it and also download from here.
    Heres a screencap of the desktop.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    I use SuSE 9.0 Pro. Power users should use either SuSE or Gentoo. You would be better off going with Mandrake or Slackware.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    A good place to get free linux cd's is a local linux user group, sometimes they do install demonstrations and they would surely have cds there.

I forgot to go to mine when they did a install demonstration...was going to get slack

sometimes you can get a book from the library about linux and they have cds in them...but the ones that i see are usually about red hat

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Another good place to get the odd distro is demo CDs on the cover of PC magazines.
    Thats where i got my copy of Morphix.
    I'm beginning to think the editor has something against Windows.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@23 January 2004 - 16:29
    I'm beginning to think the editor has something against Windows.
    who doesnt have something against windows?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast