Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network

Poster
    okay, i want to set up a wireless network and im thinking this is what i should do...

get a wireless router and one wireless network card

connect modem to router, router to computer.

plug in wirless network card in 2nd computer.

now this is my question...is that all i do? so after i plug in the wirless nc to the 2nd computer, it should autimatically detect its on a network and it automatically will have internet access w/o me doing anything else? is that right? or is ther something i need to do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    That's pretty much it. The only thing is you have to setup the router to do a login to your internet service.

The instructions on how to do that are quite straightforward and clearly explained in the router manual.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    so would i have to do anyhting to the second computer once i installed the wireless nc card? (other then installed the driver).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if you setup the router to use dhcp then it will be all se right away to use the internet. If you set the router up for static only, then you have to se the ip address on both of your computers. (just use dhcp its easier)

then if you want file\printer sharing then make both computers be on same workgroup and run network setup wizard on any xp computers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    hehe dhcp? :"> :"> :"> would that be included in the routers manual?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ummmm yeah i would think so. its probably on by default though so dont worry about that, usually when you get teh router you go into internet explorer and type in the address of the router(mine was 192.168.0.1) then type a username and password. Then you can setup how the internet connects and stuff, tis pretty simple.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    ok ty...going to get one on newegg pretty soon (after comp is finish....waiting for hdd) but i found a generic one from tigerdirect for 49.99 w/ a 30 mail in rebate. it only transfer up to 11mps though. but im not planing on moving stuff from one comp to another, so would that be okay? just for sharign internet access?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    are you planning on getting b or g? id check out passwird.com or amazon, theres a netgear b for 25 after rebates, and passwird just tells deals and where to get em

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i got a wickid deal on mine, its a dlink router with print server. (not wireless though)

it was a refurbished one so they were selling it for only 4 dollars, plus it was returnable, with a 1 year warranty, how could i loose? lol. then they gave me the 30 dollar mail in rebate as i was paying i got a -26 dollar router. (Canadian dollars).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    wtf dude?! where do you shop?!

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast