Thread: Power Supply Problems

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    today i was playing need for speed on my day off, when all of a sudden my computer just shuts off. I try another power supply and it works but it is only 110 watts so i couldnt hook up any drives or that one would stop working too.

So i went out and got a new one, a 400w enermax with dual fans. I thought it was all good and i wouldnt have anymore problems. Well i look at the dashboard in motehrbaord monitor and it says my -12.00voltage is running -3.61, and -5.00voltage is 0.00v.

Are these normal. i assumed they were only for p4 boards (the accessory connector with the 4 pins).

Now just about 10 minutes ago it shutdown again. (not blue screens or anything, just turned off) I unplugged the psu for a while then plugged it in and it started up and i went right to this site.

What do you guys think is wrong? my old psu i couldnt get to work at all, but this one just unplugged and plugged back in and now it works. wierd problem and i hope it doesnt happen to me again.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Erm, your 12V rail is reading 3.6, and your 5V rail is reading 0.00?

Not sure what your problem is (its late) but something s defintely atleast reading WAY wrong.

Can you check your voltages in your bios? If you can you should try that and see if u get similar results.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sounds to me like its about time that you get a new power supply.

Can you afford it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rossco, those voltage readings are clearly incorrect...your PC wouldn't work at all with low power like that.
    Something else is causing your shutdowns and I doubt that it's the PSU, I'd look first at the video card.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by clocker@24 January 2004 - 13:11
    Rossco, those voltage readings are clearly incorrect...your PC wouldn't work at all with low power like that.
    Something else is causing your shutdowns and I doubt that it's the PSU, I'd look first at the video card.
    yea check if the fan on the video card is working...

if the 12V was reading 3.96 the computer most likely the computer won't even start up...

My Blog
    I'm still here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    @lennon i checked the bios and the voltages are correct. (well being =\- 0.2 off isnt to bad right?[ie. 12 says 11.880])

@adam, this is the new power supply. both are giving me troubles.

@clocker, if it shuts off again ill take my video card out and try the onboard video.

@jaigandi, my video card doesnt have a fan, just a small heatsync