Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Mel Gibson's 'passion' Incite Anti-semitism?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by 1234@25 January 2004 - 15:35
    On topic, the leading cause of anti semitic violence is Isreal. It attacks semites every day.
    I'm sure the Arabs agree, although the fact might come as a surprise to the Jewish Semitic contingent.

When exactly was it the Arabs (Palestinians, et. al.) "lost" their Semitic status, anyway?

I always thought the term "anti-semite" was inappropriate, but then I wasn't around when Hitler was doing his thing.

Semite....descended from Shem.

When was this exclusivity "bestowed"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by j2k4@26 January 2004 - 00:07

I'm sure the Arabs agree, although the fact might come as a surprise to the Jewish Semitic contingent.

When exactly was it the Arabs (Palestinians, et. al.) "lost" their Semitic status, anyway?

I always thought the term "anti-semite" was inappropriate, but then I wasn't around when Hitler was doing his thing.

Semite....descended from Shem.

When was this exclusivity "bestowed"?

Bestowed, huh? Nice choice of words.

Anyways, Wilhelm Marr a German journalist and Jew-hater coined the term in 1879 when he founded the League of Anti-Semites. The term stuck and although Arabs are indeed Semites, anti-Semitism is used to describe prejudice against Jews.

Those who have a problem with this and feel that this exclusivity has been improperly bestowed upon Jews, I hope that you'll raise the same hoopla to defend Chileans who are technically as "American" as people from the USA.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by putty@25 January 2004 - 20:46

Those who have a problem with this and feel that this exclusivity has been improperly bestowed upon Jews, I hope that you'll raise the same hoopla to defend Chileans who are technically as "American" as people from the USA.
    Granted.

Will they then be Chilamericans?

You see, I think it has some connection to our having copped the word "America" in the naming of our nation.

Even having thought of it first, I will, on behalf of all my fellow "United Staters" (snazzy, huh?) volunteer to undergo an immense and unremitting blast of utter shame, if you insist-

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There.

Feel better?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    New sig, eh J2?

Gee, I never knew you were a "United Stateser".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    There.

Feel better?
    Oh yes, much better.

Isn't is amusing though that if you read the Lefty anti-Israel websites, you read alot of folks complaining about this whole "Arabs are Semites too!!!" garbage, when in fact the term "anti-semitism" was coined by an anti-semite??

I dunno, I guess I find the whole Middle East topic amusing.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by clocker@26 January 2004 - 02:36
    New sig, eh J2?

Gee, I never knew you were a "United Stateser".
    Just so-

New year, new outlook, I guess.

I will try out these politically correct thingies one-by-one, and reject them the same way-I am becoming richly experienced thus, and also gaining a new empathy; the net effect being a heightened ability to "share".

InternetNews should be pleased.

Putty-

You've hit on the exact point I was trying to make:

Always this easy and misguided acceptance of bastardized terms; I don't claim to have a comprehensive understanding of the the "Amorphous Dictionary of Floating Terms and Context", but this one certainly predates the current spate of political correctness.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Originally posted by j2k4+26 January 2004 - 06:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 26 January 2004 - 06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-putty@25 January 2004 - 20:46

Those who have a problem with this and feel that this exclusivity has been improperly bestowed upon Jews, I hope that you&#39;ll raise the same hoopla to defend Chileans who are technically as "American" as people from the USA.
    Granted.

Will they then be Chilamericans?

You see, I think it has some connection to our having copped the word "America" in the naming of our nation.

Even having thought of it first, I will, on behalf of all my fellow "United Staters" (snazzy, huh?) volunteer to undergo an immense and unremitting blast of utter shame, if you insist-

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

There.

Feel better?[/b][/quote]
    Why do we call ourselves Americans?

"United States of America" is a description of a relationship and a vague locale. At the time it was coined, it was probably a sufficient description. New World (the Americas)vs Old World (Europe).

So the issue is NOT, why do we call ourselves Americans, but rather, why have we not named our country&#33;

It&#39;s so simple, it&#39;s not about attitude or swagger, but simply that "I&#39;m a United Stateser of America" sounds absolutely ridiculous. I&#39;m not saying it, no way.

If you want to make this an issue, then each and everytime someone calls themselves "American", just respond with, "Yeah, but where?, Greenland or Argentina?"

Eventually we will get so sick of clarifying this that we will finally name our country. As it is now, since we are the only country containing the continent name, "American" functions quite nicely.

I believe I had suggested the name: Trailerparktrashistan, but it has yet to catch on.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    "United Statesmen" has a certain gravitas.

You can call yourselves that if you like. You&#39;re all Yanks to me.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    how about the other word in the phrase Yankee-Doodle. we could be called Doodles. or "Doods," for short.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@26 January 2004 - 14:00
    how about the other word in the phrase that Yanks derives from: Yankee Doodle.&nbsp; we could be called Doodles.&nbsp; or "Doods," for short.
    Not bad, 3RA1N1AC.

Hobbes-

We must continue to refer to ourselves as Americans so as not to deprive our denigrants of their vast menu of complaint.

Much as I prefer Trailerparktrashistan.

It heartily satifies my polysyllabic bent (perhaps that is why I prefer "United States of America")"), and besides, all the individual states have been named.

U.S. of A. is the collective reference, much as "U.S.S.R." was; I don&#39;t see a problem.

Seems to me an Argentinian could easily and very satisfactorily refer to him/herself as Argentinian American, yes?

Unless they are afraid of the practice of polysyllabic reference?

Chalice-

"United Statesmen" loses all of the aforementioned gravitas when it becomes the PC "United Statespersons".

Regretful.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast