Thread: Shareaza

Shereaza suffers from the same problems as eMule (Gnutella P2P), but it does have an excellent record of non-bogus apps.

The trick to getting Shareaza right is to ONLY connect to Gnunella2. Gnunella1 is so old they only have CP/M apps on it , and connecting to eDK2 will only cause your uploads to inclease by 1 zillion percent while only increasing your D/L speed by .000000000002.

No matter what your speed it set to in the connections options, make sure you limit the U/L bandwidth to about half of your advertised speed (i.e., for an ISP advertised up speed of 256 K/bs, set it for 128 K/bs or 12 K/Bs), as too high an U/L speed will choke your D/L speed.

Also, make sure your hardware firewall and router (if you have one) is set to allow Shareaza to use the default port of 6346 (TCP and UDP).

The speed issue is what keeps the really good seeders from putting warz and movies on Gnunella. Right now the hottest thing going is the private FTP sites, that work much the way the old Jolly Rodger warz boards did in the early '90'z. You have to upload in order to download (most have a very generous ratio of 10:1), and the speed is great (about 80% of what your connection is capable of), and the D/L's are all verified ones.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by kazaalite4ever@25 January 2004 - 00:41
    The trick to getting Shareaza right is to ONLY connect to Gnunella2. Gnunella1 is so old they only have CP/M apps on it , and connecting to eDK2 will only cause your uploads to inclease by 1 zillion percent while only increasing your D/L speed by .000000000002.
    But won't this pose a huge drain in the search results? As far as I have seen, when I ask for a file I get 90% ed2k sources and only 10% (sometimes 0%) shereaza sources. This doesn't mean that if I disconnect from ed2k I will get too few results (if I get any at all)?

Moreover, why does the addition of ed2k slow the total d/l process? After all, each source speed is added to the total d/l speed, or not? It is true that ed2k has ridiculous speeds, but as far as I understand, ed2k sources do not slow down the other sources: They simply add up tiny amounts of speed.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by jackc+27 January 2004 - 04:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jackc @ 27 January 2004 - 04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kazaalite4ever@25 January 2004 - 00:41
    The trick to getting Shareaza right is to ONLY connect to Gnunella2.&nbsp; Gnunella1 is so old they only have CP/M apps on it , and connecting to eDK2 will only cause your uploads to inclease by 1 zillion percent while only increasing your D/L speed by .000000000002.
    But won&#39;t this pose a huge drain in the search results? As far as I have seen, when I ask for a file I get 90% ed2k sources and only 10% (sometimes 0%) shereaza sources. This doesn&#39;t mean that if I disconnect from ed2k I will get too few results (if I get any at all)?

Moreover, why does the addition of ed2k slow the total d/l process? After all, each source speed is added to the total d/l speed, or not? It is true that ed2k has ridiculous speeds, but as far as I understand, ed2k sources do not slow down the other sources: They simply add up tiny amounts of speed. [/b][/quote]
    Apples & Oranges.

When you have &#39;Raza connect to eD2K, it does a lot of searching on the nodes, this will eat up some of your bandwidth, when it finds a node with the file you want, you usually only get transfers in the .0 rate. Not worth the trade-off as far as I am concerned.

If you want to connect to eD2K sources, use eMule/eD2K instead, they will give you better speed than &#39;Raza.

&#39;Raza was really designed for Gnunella2, and while I usually get D/L speeds in the 10-20 K/Bs range using &#39;Raza, at times I will connect to a super fast node and get speeds in the 40 to 50 K/Bs range. I have yet to get speeds above 12K/Bs using eMule with a high ID.

My average D/L speeds are:

FTP: 1.2MB/s
    Bit Torrent: 70 KB/s
    Overnet: 55 K/Bs
    KaZaa (lite): 50K/Bs
    &#39;Raza: 15 K/Bs
    eMule: 8 K/Bs

It&#39;s best to use the native protocol the P2P program you are using is designed for.

My 2 &#39;pence

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I see...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Well Said...