Thread: How To Over Clock A P4

i did a serach but didnt realy find anything helpfull, iv'e gto a P4 1.7g wit 512ddr, i would like to no how to over clock it, as i haven't got a clue were to start. How much more speed i would get from it? is it worh doing? as for coolong ive just got the standerd intel heatsink and fan. and one case fan blowing on to the P4.
    [COLOR=red] [SIZE=14]Doing it My Way Now

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well if you are going to over clock it you will have to get more cooling going. Also a better heat sink. As for me, I see no reason to over clock a processor.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by firefox@24 January 2004 - 20:43
    Well if you are going to over clock it you will have to get more cooling going. Also a better heat sink. As for me, I see no reason to over clock a processor.
    moderate ocing is fine with the stock cooler. i'm not getting the sp-94 till i really need it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    toffee
    makew sure you have really good cooling first, use motherboard monitor (a free program) to check your temps and post them here for people to tell you if they are reasonable. Then go into your bios (usually del key or f1 or something, will say on boot) then find some setting in their to change front side bus, and if you can you could also change the multiplier.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    sry to break ur bubble mate but u have a WILLAMETTE just like me...
    u cant oc williamettes alot only 200-300mhz and thts if your lucky...

on the other hand northwoods oc great....

williamette hav a 256 l2 cache
    northwood hav a 512 l2 cache

williamettes go up till 2.0Ghz anything higher then 2.0 is either a northwood or a prescott

in conclusion WILLYs SUK!!!

btw i hav my p4 1.9ghz oced to 2.10ghz i can go up till 2.20ghz and thts it no higher...

good luck

EDIT: about the temps willys are great with temps...when i went from 1.9 to 2.10 i only saw a 2 degree diff

i dont know why they run cooler...prolly cuz of the cache

My Blog
    I'm still here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Personally I'd say that unless you find that the current specification is too slow then you should just leave it at the stock speed. Why do you feel you want to do it?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.