Thread: Computer Can't Connect To Net

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't connect to the net with my Broadband connection. I share my connection with three other computers, with a netgear router and a wireless access point. Problem is, that my computer cannot go on the internet, it can't even connect to the netgear gateway (Netgear DG814), when I type 192.168.0.1. It can communicate with my other laptop in the network neighbourhood window. What can I do?
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    are you running a firewall, check that

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You probably need to configure your network adapter. That is, in control panel, right click on your network adapter, highlight Internet protocol TCP/IP > Properties > Enter your local ip and the routers ip.

If you've tried all this, you could try disabling your software firewall.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I uninstalled my firewall, i went to control panel>double clicked network>highlght ipc/ip -> Netgear... properties. It comes up with a box asking me to enter my ip and subnet mask. I checked the box that said to get ip addy automatically.Here are the other options in the same properties box:
    bindings = Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and printer sharing for microsoft Networks
    Microsoft Family Logon

Advanced = "Allow Binding to ATM" Value is "No"
    checked the box that says "Set this protocol to be the default protocol
    NetBIOS= greyed out but checked, says I want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    DNS Configuration= Disabled DNS
    Gateway= I havn't written any gateways
    WINS Configuration= It is neither disabled or enabled (WINS Resolution)
    The "Use DHCP for WINS Resolution" is checked

Any help?
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Try reinstalling your network card. This will effectively reset its properties.

RC My Computer > Device Manager > Highlight Network Adapter > Uninstall > Reboot upon prompt.

Now, when XP reinstalls the card after reboot, you should try reentering your local ip, default gateway (router), and subnet mask. Your ISP should have supplied you with all the details you need, including DNS server addresses. As you're able to access the internet on another comp., check out their website's Support.