Thread: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Okay, I'm trying to download a couple of movies. I've used all teh search tips and located several sources for the files. I start the download and then do a "search" again to improve the speed. I've tried changing supernodes, changing the port number and adjusting my upload bandwidth. I still can't seem to get speeds more than 2-3 Kbps. Usually, the downloads start and then disconnect at 12,000-15,000 Kbs and then just keeps searching. I get indications that anywhere from 1-5 sources are connecting, but they almost never do. For example, I started a download of "Monster" about 3 weeks ago and I barely have 100Mb of a 700Mb film! I should also mention that people who are uploading from me get speeds up to 40-50 Kbs. I'm using Kazaa Lite Resurrection 2.4.8 on a pc with Win98. Is this typical? Should I get rid of Resurrection and switch to BitTorrent? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: As of right now, I'm connected to 4 users and getting the file at 0.88 Kbps

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by sikrap@26 January 2004 - 04:36
    I'm using Kazaa Lite Resurrection 2.4.8 on a pc with Win98. Is this typical? Should I get rid of Resurrection and switch to BitTorrent? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: As of right now, I'm connected to 4 users and getting the file at 0.88 Kbps
    First, upgrade to Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.4 (http://myimages.fourvalve.com/dgmort...itekpp244e.exe)

aRE you using a firewall or Peerguardian?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Firewall is not an issue, my kids download music at 40-50 Kbs routinely. I "upgraded" to 2.4.8 because I jad read somewhere in here that 2.4.8 was allowing download speeds that were very fast. I had 2.4.3 previously and had the same issues, that was why I switched to 2.4.8/

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Your experience is typical of the FT network of late. You should check out the alternatives to k-lite such as Bittorent and eMule
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Okay, thanks. Given that I'm not terribly adept with pc's, which would you recommend?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by sikrap@26 January 2004 - 06:20
    Okay, thanks. Given that I'm not terribly adept with pc's, which would you recommend?
    Bittorent
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.