Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Firewall Do You Use?

I use hardware, instead of software. Server, Router to create a NAT and VPN. Software firewalls used to get in the way of my LAN connection. I'm in a situation in which everyone has to be able to get any file at any time.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Zonealarm is crap it destroyed my system registry

Norton is the way to go does not slow internet down at all&#33;
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    WolverineDK's Avatar Poster
    http://www.closedbsd.org/

my self ? i use Norton personal Firewall

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Why use a firewall at all. Do you peps really think the internet is safe and free to do as you will.....you kids kill me....a firewall only stops kids from playing with kids.
    I ran a broadband connection for 5 yrs. with no firewall or anitvirus and I had no problems.
    Go ahead and believe the advertisements if you will.
    I have a friend that works for symantec in Virginia and that is all that he does, write kiddy scrips for kids...Project Development is the Department he is employed by.

As far as the subject is concerned.....please do a search of the board as all of the information has already been posted 100+ times.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by skelley521@28 January 2004 - 19:01
    Why use a firewall at all. Do you peps really think the internet is safe and free to do as you will.....you kids kill me....a firewall only stops kids from playing with kids.
    I ran a broadband connection for 5 yrs. with no firewall or anitvirus and I had no problems.
    Go ahead and believe the advertisements if you will.
    I have a friend that works for symantec in Virginia and that is all that he does, write kiddy scrips for kids...Project Development is the Department he is employed by.

As far as the subject is concerned.....please do a search of the board as all of the information has already been posted 100+ times.
    Wow. Ive seen some pretty stupid post on this forum but that right there pal takes the cake. Im not even going to debate that because anybody on this board with common sense can see you dont really have a clue.

Btw, I use a router, and a damn good one. No software based firewall can ever compete with a physical device like a router.

The best software firewall is Linux. Just take a shitty pc and install linux or bsd (which is not linux btw) and install it with no gui or hardly anything else and configure your ip tables, filters, etc. If your a n00b then just install the gui and use the lokkit gnome firewall utility (too simple).

@WolverineDK -- That looks interesting. It beats fully installing bsd on a machine just to use it as a firewall which is what most people do.

Still LOL @skelly&#39;s post

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i use za 4.5 and router

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Without firewall, you wont be able to know if a hacker/trojan/viruses/spyware comes in and hijacks your computer?

Well it wont happen now but anytime it will.

ZA ruined your reg key? wow my didnt... well hmm should I get NIS?
    P4 2.4C / 1024M / R9600XT 128M / 80GB / 400W
    Peer-to-peer Programs...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    its so much software you need to have and by the time you set them all up your computer usage will be up and you could barely run a program. You need a antivirus software,spyware program and a firewall, and so on. Cant the companies make one software that contains all of this? man

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@28 January 2004 - 21:26
    its so much software you need to have and by the time you set them all up your computer usage will be up and you could barely run a program. You need a antivirus software,spyware program and a firewall, and so on. Cant the companies make one software that contains all of this? man
    I think bloated versions of norton do that. An antivirus and firewall at least, Im not sure if they have a suite with spyware protection.

Just because its 3 programs in one does not mean it wont require the same amount of system resources as it would if it were 3 seperate programs.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Zonealarm pro 4 here pain to setup but worth it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast