Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom Case Out Of Wood

well ur gonna have to give me about a week to finish what im doing right now in wood shop, then ill start working on the case.if only i had a way of building it at home...

but my plans (lol) are going to be: build the bottom panel first (cuz its what everything else rests on. then im gonna work on the 2 side panels (for now the one isnt gonna have a window, but will have the 2 fans holes for 80mm fans, then im gonna build the front, the back is going to be the hardest so im gonna make that last. then im gonna build the drive bays for it (3 5.25", and 2 HD bays), then im gonna work on the drive covers (1 for my cd-rw, then 2 for panel covers), then im gonna work on, then im gonna build the fan grilles meself for it(if it dont work out ill just buy standard chrome ones for the 3 sizes), and i also have to build a way of having about 1" between the mobo and back of case (airflow from the 120mm behind the socket), and still have the motherboard be stable, and held in place sturdy and safe. so i have a lot of work to do.

so peace out ya'all

and i need ideas for relativly cheap wood to be used for the case. im thinking mineral oiled knotless oak will do fine.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by SciManAl@27 January 2004 - 18:51
    easier to mess with than metals...
    In some ways yes, in others, no.
    Building/trimming/decorating the box is probably a little easier as most people have (or have access to) woodworking tools.
    Mounting the drives might be a little trickier than with thin sheetmetal, but not impossible.
    Most of the wooden cases that I've seen use the drive bays and mobo wall from a standard case to get around that problem.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Mounting the drives might be a little trickier than with thin sheetmetal, but not impossible.
    I have a hammer that dissagrees...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    WOW nice finds!! Those lok kindsa cool... I mihght make a wood one afterall

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    whow that keyboard is hot! i want one.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234