Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administrative Folder Problem

Not too long ago, my ntldr file was missing, and yet still when I copied it to my C: Drive in the Windows XP CD Recovery Console, it was still missing. So, I had to reinstall Windows XP.

Now, I have a 20 GB Hard Drive:before I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro, 2 Billion bytes were free while 18 billion bytes took up my hard drive (because I had a lot of MP3s and such). When I logged onto the Newly Installed XP, My Previous Administrative Documents folder with ALL my documents were apparently erased, yet, all my program files and other installations were still intact. I checked my hard drive to see how much space was available since all my documents were apparently gone. Its still 18 Billion Bytes full. I ran a disk cleanup and a system restore, yet, it still wont cleanup. I ran the PC Inspector File Recovery tool and scanned the the Previous Administrative Documents Folder and found out that all my previous documents were still there, even though I right click the folder to check the properties and it says "0 Bytes".....
    I cant get into the folder; it keeps saying "Access Denied" when Im the Administrator. I even tried to do the whole "take ownership of the folder by clicking on the security tab" thing, but there isn't any option allowing me to change ownerships. There are only three tabs available - general, sharing (options grayed), and customize. So, all I really want is to be able to move the documents from the old, unaccessable folder to the new documents folder; is it even possible?

ALSO, since I have 2 WINDOWS folders, can I delete the previous installation folder?

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Did you disable the option in folder options of simple file sharing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No....will that solve the problem though?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This kinda thing never happened to me. Just try that and when the security tab appears, try to override the permissions by going in the advanced options.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm confused you ran a repair install ? Sounds like a format and reinstall is in order. Shitty tho you loose Everything. Found this site about missing ntldr

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Shit yeah!

It freaking worked!

ultimatejester, out of the people that I've asked, they havent mentioned what you mentioned. Thanks a lot!

By the way though, like I said, is it safe to delete the previous Windows XP Installation folder or should I leave it alone (I want to delete it because it takes up too much space on my computer...)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Found this too .

http://lowendpc.com/box/2002/0916pf.html

Sorry I'm too slow didn't see it was fixed

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yeah Peat, I think thats what I did. It was weird as hell; somehow, my ntldr file became corrupt, and I ran the Windows XP Recovery Console from the XP CD and I could of sworn I wrote the ntldr file back in the system32 folder, but somehow, it kept saying that it was missing, so I reinstalled, and this crazy shit happens....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Manny aren 't computers fun?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    When you reintalled Xp, why didnt you overwrite the previous version. I guess you could delete it if you are sure which one is the old one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast