Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 95 Repair

Anyone know a good win 95 repair software? I'd like to be able to fix a few of the problems I'm having with this old computer without re-formating the entire thing. Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Depends whats wrong with it and what version, just reload over the top.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've got a few problems with this thing. My biggest complaint is that it freezes up when turning it on. Usually have to start it 3 or 4 times before it will fully boot up and work. While online it's just a manner of time before it freezes up and has to be re-started. I think a lot of my problems are from ad ware and my clumsly attempts at removing them. I do have adaware and that's removed a lot of stuff but I still have some stuff on here that the win95 version of adaware or myself can't find. I tried renaming the back up system.ini file hoping it would fix some of the start up problems but that turned into a nightmare. I'm open for suggestions if anyone has any ideas. I would just reformate the thing but I have a lot of files and programs I don't want to loose and not practical for me to back some of them up. I had a computer with what I believe was an earlier version of win95 in which windows could be reinstalled without wiping out everything else. I tried that on this one a couple of years ago but couldn't do it, it just reformatted and reinstalled windows.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Without seeing the problem its hard to say what's causing the throuble how about loading Win98 over it might help with the internet thing,and if it doesn't you can always go back to Win95(this is all providing you have the space on your h/drive).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I was kinda hoping that there might be some software out there that could help me make a few repairs.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    u could partition ur drive and move all the file u want to keep on one drive and format the other one and reinstall win95

have u done a virus check??
    also u could try norton utilities one of the utilities on this program is win doctor this sorts out ur regestrie (poor spelling)
    give it a try and tell us the results

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    in computers, old sckool is not cool....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@27 January 2004 - 20:28
    in computers, old sckool is not cool....
    Agreed...agreed....coldnorth my friend, you have a dinosaur on your desk. You might look into updating just a smig.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Cold north how much memory do you have ? Time to upgrade to a new computer

Have you tryed spoybot? http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Mentions updating winsock for win95 install

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Yeah, I thought I was bad because I'm on 56k, but DAMN! Windows 95? Man you have a piece of history there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast