Thread: New To Burning

my sister gave me a roxio dvd burner for christmas. All reviews say this is an all format burner/player. My problem : I downloaded a spiderman movie, and went to dvd burner to burn unto dvd. Everything went find and after burning I tried to play movie in windows media player and that worked perfect. Next, I put it into my dvd player connected to tv and when it reads dvd there is no title listing or anything. It's like there isn't anything on dvd disk. Thus, I cant get dvd to play on tv. I used a blank tdk brand dvd +r disk.
    Can anybody tell me what went wrong? I used the roxio software that camr with dvd burner and it worked on other small video clips but why not now? any hely will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Poster
    What software did you use to burn it and format or process did you use?

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Not all dvd players can read all formats of dvd r disks.

Did you burn the whole VIDEO_TS folder? you need to burn the whole folder and not just the contents inside for it to play.
    Robert00000

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    did u encode the avi file? or did u copy it str8 as a dvd data disk?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    i used the roxio software that came with dvd burner. also, I just downloaded the spiderman movie, then opened the roxio burner program and put the movie into burn slot and hit burn and finalize. that's it! please help as I'm new and don't understand all this extra jargon.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by Robert00000@24 January 2004 - 14:06
    Not all dvd players can read all formats of dvd r disks.
    not just that, but players generally have lower compatibility with DVD+R discs than with DVD-R discs. so if you're gonna make discs for a stand-alone player, it's best to stick with DVD-R rather than +R.

but... sounds like rkuby51's problem is that he just threw an AVI or MPG file on a disc without encoding it to DVD-Video. most video files on the internet have to be re-encoded to a DVD-Video compliant M2V video stream and MP2 audio stream (or just re-use the AC3 stream if the AVI contains one), then you mix 'em into a set of VOB & IFO files that a DVD player will recognize (this step is called "authoring"). the first step takes at least several hours and the second step will take at least 15 or 20 minutes, depending on your computer's speed.

encoding guide:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgencdvd.htm

authoring guides:
    TmpgEnc DVD Author--http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/172123.php
    IFO Edit-- http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/120013.php

i prefer to author with IFO Edit, but TmpgEnc DVD Author is a bit more newbie-friendly i think.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by rkuby51@27 January 2004 - 19:11
    i used the roxio software that came with dvd burner. also, I just downloaded the spiderman movie, then opened the roxio burner program and put the movie into burn slot and hit burn and finalize. that's it! please help as I'm new and don't understand all this extra jargon.
    If you dont have IFO, BUP and VOB files in VIDEO_TS folder on the disk then you dont have a DVD complient disk. When you author a DVD it creates these files from the mpeg movie.
    Robert00000

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    use nero mate its way better at burning movies and encoding the movie use tmpgenc the latest ver.