Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pc Had To Be Wiped And Win Xp

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 January 2004 - 15:15
    get a dos boot disk and put it in then get into dos and type format C: and that woud format it...i think you can download the disks off of the microsoft website.
    Yep I still like win98 bootdisk the best .Seems to work better for me.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    I use a 'custom' 98SE boot disk with the newer Fdisk for large drives.
    This will allow you to create larger than 32 gig partitions, so they say.
    Although I have not encountered this problem as of yet.

(Little bit of old school I guess)
    It's a nice touch to first make a folder on your Hard Drive named
    XP and then copy the contents of the i386 folder from the CD to it first.
    Then navigate to that folder and type winnt.exe

But if DOS isn't your thing, then boot with the CD and follow the on-screen instructions

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    thnx for all the advice.
    no i hae no partions in the hard drive
    no i havent installed anything new to my pc for about a montha nd that was an extra hard drive
    no i havent oced at all.
    im going to try the boot disc thing cause taking out hard drives and stuff takes alot of time and stuff.

when i in DOS what do i type to format?

is it:

FORMAT C:

?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    i got a dos boot disc andtyped format c: and tried loads of stuff like that but it aint working.

just a stupid thought but has my pc named my drives yet? wod they b called drive 0 and drive 1 maybe?

it doesnt tell me my drive names all it says is drive R and Drive S but when i type format R: it says it cannot format a network drive and same for S and i do have 2 othewr pc's using 1 drive each networked.

any suggestions?
    :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

:helpsmile: :helpsmile:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    you could try going to your hardrive manufacturer's web site and download there utility to fdisc then do a clean install.I also really like the friends computer method it always seems to work well..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    yeah iv decied that on sat im gonna go and do the whole friends pc thingy

if anyone has any ideas tho...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    First off, unplug your network cable just to avoid the confusion you're experiencing with drives R and S!

I'm intrigued... how is the format command not working? Do you just get a message saying you haven't got a C: drive or what? Give us a clue... tell us what happens when you type FORMAT C:.

Sounds like your hard drives aren't recognised which could be MBR corruption or BIOS (non)detection.
    Go into your BIOS and make sure that any HDD are being detected properly - either use the auto-config that most BIOSes have to determine the correct parameters or set your IDE channels to auto-detect drives on boot.
    Then boot to DOS and type FDISK
    Use fdisk to establish whether your HDDs are initialised and that you have an active partition set. You could split your drives into several partitions while you're in fdisk, if you like.
    Reboot the machine to DOS again and then type FORMAT C:, then install your chosen OS.

If you're getting errors, try unplugging a stick of RAM - if you've got a bad stick, files get corrupted when they're copied to the hard drive during install. If you have access to the net, download Memtest86 (it's free) and test your memory, as you have nothing to lose but a little time and it'll tell you whether RAM is a problem or not.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@27 January 2004 - 13:24
    i installed something that seemed to make my c not boot up sometimes and just crash so i decieded to try and repair WIN XP so i put in the disc and i coulnt repair so i tryed to install witout formmating but it ditn erase the error so last nite i put the WIN XP PRO disc in and formatted and installed WIN XP PRO and it crashed half way thru

now when i put in the XP PRO disc it starts to load p system files to get ready to install but comes up with a system error and says it stopped to prevent harming my pc.

it wont boot cause it says the same thing and i tried my LEGAL copy  of XP HOME and that didnt work.

any ideas?

this is a real problem 4 me cause its my only pc and im having to use a m8's for all work and stuff.

sorry for all the spelling errors and shit but im in a hurry.

please offer any help. :helpsmile:  :helpsmile:
    Initially sounded like a hardware problem.

Might be an I/O device error causing it.

You should remove any hardware devices you dont need for regular installation..............anything in your pci slots, modems, ethernet cards, etc.

If the install goes ok after that then put them back in and try and boot, if it fails then one of thoose devices is causing the problem.............simply dont use it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 06:02
    Initially sounded like a hardware problem.
    okay i took out my main disc that got fucked up while insalling xp and set my slave as the master and clicked to format it when i got th win xp pro setup thing up so i went away and when i came back the blue sceen of death was up with some fucking error the same error i had last time and now that disc is doing the same

iv tried removing the battery to reset the bios but did nothing

First off, unplug your network cable just to avoid the confusion you're experiencing with drives R and S!

I'm intrigued... how is the format command not working? Do you just get a message saying you haven't got a C: drive or what? Give us a clue... tell us what happens when you type FORMAT C:.

Sounds like your hard drives aren't recognised which could be MBR corruption or BIOS (non)detection.
    Go into your BIOS and make sure that any HDD are being detected properly - either use the auto-config that most BIOSes have to determine the correct parameters or set your IDE channels to auto-detect drives on boot.
    Then boot to DOS and type FDISK
    Use fdisk to establish whether your HDDs are initialised and that you have an active partition set. You could split your drives into several partitions while you're in fdisk, if you like.
    Reboot the machine to DOS again and then type FORMAT C:, then install your chosen OS.

If you're getting errors, try unplugging a stick of RAM - if you've got a bad stick, files get corrupted when they're copied to the hard drive during install. If you have access to the net, download Memtest86 (it's free) and test your memory, as you have nothing to lose but a little time and it'll tell you whether RAM is a problem or not.
    im quite sure its not the RAM as i havent installed anyfor about 4 or 5 months.

my network cable was unpluged im pritty sure.
    it is auto configuered properly

when i type FORMAT C:

it says:

the parameter 'C:' is not correct or some shit.

but when i type FORMAT 1:

it does something for about 20mins and then makes a loud noise and bombs out.

im gonna ry this whole FDISC thing so i just boot up DOS and type FDISC and it will do something.

and it is a hardware problem so mad cat was wrong. yes!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    it sounds as if there is no c drive
    in fdisk select option 4 and it will show the partitions on the disk and the assossiated drive leters

NOTE: its fdisk NOT fdisc and is found on a windows 9x boot disc
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast