Thread: Supercookies

skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    SuperCookies: How to prevent websites from tracking your online activity.
    Windows Media Player has a unique ID number that may be used by websites to track the users behavior. Microsoft has added this SuperCookie to Internet Explorer 6 and it may also work in all previous versions of Internet Explorer using older versions of Windows.

To remove the SuperCookie, select the "Tools / Options..." menu command from Windows Media Player and uncheck the box that says "Allow Internet sites to uniquely identify your player".

If you have Media Player 6.4 and 7 and the above option does not work for you, then follow this link:HERE.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    h1
    Goddamn M$.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by skelley521@28 January 2004 - 04:24
    SuperCookies: How to prevent websites from tracking your online activity.
    Windows Media Player has a unique ID number that may be used by websites to track the users behavior.  Microsoft has added this SuperCookie to Internet Explorer 6 and it may also work in all previous versions of Internet Explorer using older versions of Windows.

To remove the SuperCookie, select the "Tools / Options..." menu command from Windows Media Player and uncheck the box that says "Allow Internet sites to uniquely identify your player". 

If you have Media Player 6.4 and 7 and the above option does not work for you, then follow this link:HERE.
    nice

btw just checked and it was already unchecked

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝

Sorry i cant find it - where exactly?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i thought this was meant to be used by websites to identify unique media players. mainly to stop people using things like streamboxvcr to steal their content.

i cant see how a random website can track your browsing using something like this. m$ on the otherhand will be able to see exactly where you have been.

@zedaxax you will need a recent version of wmp to have this included with it. 8 or higher i think.