Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp Pro Problem

I have a hp pavilon. It had win me but i was upgrading to xp pro and in the middle of installation there was a fatal error. I can't go back to win me or anything. I download a different version of winxp pro and the same error occurs. i download a different version of pro and the error still occurs. note that i'm in the middle of installation and i have no recovery disk for it. what should i do to get back to a windows or complete the winxp installation?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    If you can't continue the upgrade, then you will have the format and install XP from scratch. You will need a boot disk for that.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    how can i format if i can't get to windows and i don't have a restore disk? When i start my computer it automatically restarts the installation of xp pro and when i put the disk in it starts and the error pops up again then i click ok (which is the only option i have) and it restarts the computer and does the same thing again.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Do you (still) have the Win ME cd? In that case try booting from there, by enabling 'boot from cd' in the bios. Alternatively if you have the ME-startup floppy, you can try that with bios->'boot from floppy'. Then I would reinstall WinME with a clean format.

To install Win XP you need a bootable XP-cd (I think yours is f*cked), which I personally got off this forum here, or you will need to make a startup-floppy (instructions here), but then again you need the XP-cd or the correct files (try Google)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    You don't technically need a bootable CD to install XP. You can go to the Microsoft website and download the XP start-up program, this is just a program that you put onto floppy (you need 6 floppies in total) and it acts like any start-up disc.

Once you have inserted these, you can then format your disc to NTFS or FAT32 and partition if you need to, then do a clean install of XP Pro.

You can get the XP Pro Start-Up program Here

And Here is another good source of info.

All the best.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no i dont have the windows me cd. the computer came with mellinium and i suppose me was on the restore disk which is now broken. so i have nothing to work with but a winxp cd and the computer which is still stuck halfway in the installation. should i get a win me iso and try installing that or maybe getting another version of xp like home. I have a friend that has had the same thing happen to him and when it's stuck halfway like that i dont know how to fix it. since i dont have the me cd what should i do now?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Download the startup program like Mrcall said. If the install don't work, then the copy of XP is bad you will have to get another one.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sneepboy's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@1 March 2003 - 04:19
    You don't technically need a bootable CD to install XP. You can go to the Microsoft website and download the XP start-up program, this is just a program that you put onto floppy (you need 6 floppies in total) and it acts like any start-up disc.

Good Info! I sure didn't know that was possible.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I didn't now it was possible either, until I ran into trouble installing XP Pro.

I've used it and it works like a charm, but as Supernatural said it's no use unless you've got a "good" copy of XP Home or Pro.

Edit: Typo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    smellycat's Avatar Egalitarian BT Rep: +3
    What fatal error are you getting ?

What is the error message and numbers when it reports the error?

Some computers have to have the L2 cache disabled to allow installation.
    Some might need to have the bios updated.
    All my invites I give freely.

File sharing and invite sharing
    File trading and invite trading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast