Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Letter From The Fbi? Is It Real?

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Downloading of Movies, MP3s and Software is illegal and punishable by law.

We hereby inform you that your computer was scanned under the IP xxx.xx.xx.xx . The
    contents of your computer were confiscated as an evidence, and you will be indicated.
    In the next days you will receive the charge in writing.
    In the Reference code: #xxxx, are all files, that we found on your computer.

The sender address of this mail was masked, to fend off mail bombs.

- You get more detailed information by the Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
    - Department for "Illegal Internet Downloads", Room 7350
    - 935 Pennsylvania Avenue
    - Washington, DC 20535, USA
    - (202) 324-3000
    any suggestion? what can i do?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    It's just a hoax. Ignore it.
    Member No.: 82,000

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Downloading of Movies, MP3s and Software is illegal and punishable by law.
    No, downloading PIRATED Mp3's, Movies, and software is illegal. Freeware, Adware, Software you have actually paid for, Shareware, and Public domain software (as well as anything under open source) is perfectly legal. Downloading Mp3's that the author has given you permission to download is legal. And downloading the numerous fan-made movies from the net is legal as well. Oh yeah, and we all know about pr0n and fansubs.

We hereby inform you that your computer was scanned under the IP xxx.xx.xx.xx
    I'm assuming that you cleaned your own ip out there, but as far as i know, it's actually illegal for the fbi (or anyone, for that matter) to break into a private computer over the internet and scan the contents. I could be wrong on this one however - but it's certainly illegal under U.K. law. If anyone could give us an update as to wether this stands true in U.S. law?

The
    contents of your computer were confiscated as an evidence, and you will be indicated.
    Ok, the grammars wrong, shouldn't that be "Indicted", not "Indicated"?, and they CAN'T confiscate the contents of your computer over the net. The most they can do is get a listing of what files you have on your hard drive - but if they tried to upload the actual contents of those files, i'm pretty certain you'd notice. Heck, if i renamed "Mum 11/12/1983.jpg" to "kiddi sex.jpg", how do they know that the file actually contains what it says it does?

- You get more detailed information by the Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
    should be...

- You get more detailed information FROM the Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
    I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a fake. The FBI would probably have included a return address - if they get mail bombed or anything, then its an extra charge they can file against you, after all. Aside from the fact it doesn't tell you what legislation they scanned your computer under, where they got your email address, the actual law/act you are accused of breaking, and contains more errors than should, if you'll pardon the pun, be legal, they have included NO infomation that can identify you as a person. Notice it doesn't include your name or address?

My guess is that its a fake. Not a very well written one either.

Edit :- damnit! Bad typing must be contagious!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    thank you, guys, it had me scared for a moment. there is also an attachment that contains virus and got deleted by my norton. so everyone else watch out for this email. leave your norton on all time.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Spam . I got the same mail. If you can open the file witch is included, then you have a problem . It contains a virus named W32.Sober.C@mm. Lucky Norton reconise this virus. :music1:

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    There is no such department called "Illegal Internet Downloads", also the FBI does not have jurisdiction outside of the Unites States.

More Info

Regards, NightStalker.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Very Large Member
    'indicated'
    I think Im gonna wet myself!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    "confiscated as an evidence"

Good grief!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I've heard about this before - it's a hoax.

They can't even write properly, for crying out loud !!

And why open emails from people you don't know?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I can't believe this actually got posted in the first place. As soon as I saw 'indicated' I knew it was BS.

Code:
    Yes... like that makes sense.

Code:
    The sender address of this mail was masked, to fend off mail bombs
    You would think the FBI, or any other agency for that matter would have a secure contact address, where any 'mail bombs' were detected and disposed of.

Laughable at best. You must worry easily.

By the time you have read this message you have now been infected by [email protected] worm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast