Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Protowall Is Here!

Poster
    Originally posted by Lite+1 February 2004 - 13:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lite @ 1 February 2004 - 13:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Java Boy@30 January 2004 - 22:01
    So far it hasnt blocked anything,that my firewall doesnt normally block,
    So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so [/b][/quote]
    I think he means that this won&#39;t block anything his firewall CAN&#39;T or DOESN&#39;T block -- not that the connections are blocked before they are attempted.

However, KL++&#39;s ip blocklist DOES block outgoing connections before they&#39;re attempted -- because it can compair where it &#39;wants&#39; to connect to with the blocklist before making it. This is why internal blocklists for internet programs can often be better than a separate firewall solution.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Filesharinghelp.com
    Infact Klk++&#39;s blocklist, blocks connections while they are being made

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    errr.......mmmm.......ok, gotta go with java on this........
    what the feck does protowall do that a firewall wont?

blocklist manager + sygate is workin fine for me......

So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so&nbsp;
    and yeah, sygate blocks both incoming and out going
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lite@2 February 2004 - 12:43
    Infact Klk++&#39;s blocklist, blocks connections while they are being made
    Crap. Sucks for me to be wrong here, because that means connections may not be stopped/broken by the blocklist until AFTER they&#39;re attempted/made/sent data.

So that means the blocklist method in KL++ is an overlay instead of integrated into the main program to prevent connections before they begin?

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    I know this has nothing to do with Protowall
    Does the kazaa lite blocklist mean you need to have kazaa running for it to work?
    Will it work if I shutdown kazaa and browse the internet?

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Originally posted by Lite+1 February 2004 - 18:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lite &#064; 1 February 2004 - 18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Java Boy@30 January 2004 - 22:01
    So far it hasnt blocked anything,that my firewall doesnt normally block,
    so I cant say this is the super wonder program that many people on other forums have made this out to be..
    If you know how to configure expert rules and you use the block bad ips etc you dont need this program
    So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so [/b][/quote]
    I know I didnt word it correctly but a 5 year old can work out what I meant...Why cant you?

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Filesharinghelp.com
    Java Boy, you post offensive content everywhere - sort out your attitude&#33; IE, you called someone a n00b who asked a simple question and yet your a "n00b" yourself - niceone&#33;

FKDUP74, no sygate blocks the connections while they are being made - not before&#33;

Switeck, the only thing that is gonna block a connection before its made is something that works at driver level - in this case Protowall

All, if you read up on programs like this you will find that programs that work at driver level are alot more effient than ones that work at software level

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lite@5 February 2004 - 13:55
    Switeck, the only thing that is gonna block a connection before its made is something that works at driver level - in this case Protowall

All, if you read up on programs like this you will find that programs that work at driver level are alot more effient than ones that work at software level
    At the driver level or run as a filter inside the program attempting the connections in the first place. If the program has an ip check before opening the connection it could be compaired with a blocklist and denied before the connection is opened.

In other words, ip blocking HAS to be a core piece of a program in order for it to prevent bad connections. Ip blocking as a separate program can only react to what the 1st program does.

I mistakenly thought Random Nut put the ip blocking into the overlay for Kazaa/KL++, thus allowing it to snoop on what Kazaa/KL++ was wanting to connect to before the connection was attempted.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Originally posted by Lite@5 February 2004 - 18:55
    Java Boy, you post offensive content everywhere - sort out your attitude&#33; IE, you called someone a n00b who asked a simple question and yet your a "n00b" yourself - niceone&#33;

FKDUP74, no sygate blocks the connections while they are being made - not before&#33;

You never asked a question noob....
    you TOLD me that my firewall blocks the attempts before the connections made...anyone in there right mind and isnt a noob could work out what I meant...Switchtek did so theres ya proof..Admittedly it was originally my mistake for not explaining to clearly for the noobs...IE you
    As for posting offensive content everywhere..its because theres idiot noobs everywhere..i will try and tone it down , but at the end of the day, dont read if you dont like...its real easy, even for the noobs to understand

And is there any update why this program blocks ".edu"?

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Sorry about this noob question.

So i installed the driver and i got the .p2p file from http://www.peerguardian.net/pgipdb/guarding.p2p. Is this right.

Btw, protowall already sent 2456 packets in 1 min. Is that ok. Why do i need block list manager

Thnx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast