Thread: Mike Rowe...soft

Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    if u havent heard about him already the guy just made a site with "soft" at the end and guess what happens MS comes and wants to either close down the site or change its name

full story:

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Mike Rowe knew he needed a catchy name for his Web-site design company.

"Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it," said Rowe, a 17-year-old computer geek and 12th-grade student in Victoria, B.C.

As in, but not quite, Microsoft.

But the folks at the world's biggest software company are not amused. They've demanded that he give up his domain name.

Rowe registered the name in August. In November, he received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers, Smart & Biggar, informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

He was advised to transfer the name to the Redmond-based corporation.

"I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me," Rowe said.

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $1,000.

On Thursday, he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement.

"I never even thought of getting anything out of them," he said, adding that he asked for the $1,000 only because he was "sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks."

He said family and friends are backing him, and a lawyer has offered to advise him for free.

He's also keeping his sense of humor.

"It's not their name. It's my name. I just think it's kind of funny that they'd go after a 17-year-old," Rowe said.

Company spokesman Jim Desler said yesterday, "Microsoft has been in communication with Mr. Rowe in a good-faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable resolution. And we remain hopeful we can resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction."

when this got in to the news mike rowe's website got 10 million hits! yea and some guy was hosting it for free for him! thts like 500gb a month of bandwith!
    crazy shyt

his site is... http://mikerowesoft.com/

he got a BIG letter from microsft thts 25 PAGES long! lol (its like a book) and now hes selling it on ebay and the highest bidder has bid $$2,251.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8&category=2312
    hes also gettting a cruise and x-box from microsoft and everything....lucky bastard!

My Blog
    I'm still here.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    im surprised only person replied to this....

guess ppl are more interested in pRon lol

BUMP&#33; B)

My Blog
    I'm still here.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    BANNED
    Actually Jay....this is like a month old

5. Lounge   -   #5
    well its not my fault i got tech tv on last saturday...

i feel so embarrased right now...lol

My Blog
    I'm still here.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Dont feel that bad. I posted the same news like 20 days back with all the details. That was the time when they were actually following the lawsuit now they have dropped it. I gave the forum link coz i find it really amusing and he made his forum after the case was done.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>