Thread: Avi Preview Question

Ron's Avatar Poster
    Is it normal for a video file that uses the PCM codec not to play audio in avi preview, until the file is completely downloaded?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Well, sometimes when you download a movie, you dont download from start to end. Sometimes you go from end to start... Its kinda wierd, but anyways, avi preview can only play files from start to end...

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by NeoShoyru@2 March 2003 - 19:11
    Well, sometimes when you download a movie, you dont download from start to end. Sometimes you go from end to start... Its kinda wierd, but anyways, avi preview can only play files from start to end...
    I have never seen this. Anytime I download a movie I avipreview it after about 10 MB. It is always the start of the movie. That said I only download avi, divx and the occasional mpg. I have downloaded literally hundreds of movies.

Where do you get this info from Neos. I don't doubt you for a moment, I just like to learn so if I can read some more about it that would be great

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    I've never seen that either. Odd though. I mainly DL movies and haven't seen that before.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    i've never encountered a movie file with a PCM/WAV audio track since thats uncompressed, and almost every file on kazaa is compressed in one way or another!

kazaa downloads the file in chunks, not always sequentially, and avipreview will only play from the start of the file to the end of the last good data chunk...

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by NeoShoyru@2 March 2003 - 10:11
    What do you mean by that?

@Shinigami, you're on fire in posting today.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    If the audio was uncompressed, the filesize would nearly double I think. But I cant still spot fakes thanks to Avipreview.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Well, the files I was talking about are CSI episodes.
    I just finished d/l the episode in question, and it works fine.
    Just that it seemed awkward it wouldn't play sound until fully loaded.
    It's the second time that's happened to me.
    Luckily for me, it was a verified by NikkiD, so I didn't delete it when the sound didn't come up in preview.
    As for movies not starting at the very beginning, I saw that happen as well,......for the first few MB. Once you get about 10 MB or more, the start should be there....