Thread: Ati Technologies Market Share Soars Modestly

Although the only way we, the consumers will benefit is if there are at least two companies fighting for our dollar...

but so far ATi is winning, except, of course, to INTEL:
    Source: xbitlabs.com

According to a report from a Goldman Sachs analyst Andrew Root quoting data from Mercury Research, ATI Technologies became the world’s No.2 graphics supplier surpassing NVIDIA by a small margin and getting closer to the market leader – Intel Corporation.

Reportedly, in the fourth quarter of 2003 Intel had 31.7% of the market, down 3.3% from the previous quarter; ATI commanded 24.9%, up 3.9% from the Q3 2003; NVIDIA owned 24.7% of the market, 0.3% less compared to a quarter before.

Throughout 2003 Intel’s share was 27%, 32%, 35% and 31.7% in Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 respectively. We may say that the company gained nearly 5% of the market in 2003. NVIDIA’s share was 31%, 27%, 25% and 24.7% in the first, second, third and fourth quarters in that order showing rather unhealthy downtrend. ATI commanded 20%, 21%, 22% and 24.9% during the Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 respectively demonstrating rather slow uptick.

Goldman Sachs said that NVIDIA lost its share points in its key market segment – standalone graphics processors for PCs. In contrast, ATI’s market share of standalone desktop graphics chips soared during the fourth quarter, according to Goldman Sachs. The company also believes there was an additional downside risk to NVIDIA estimates for the fiscal first quarter and fiscal second quarter given the unexpected gap in share gains in notebooks, where NVIDIA lost less than 1% of share in the December quarter despite of gains predicted by originally by Andrew Root from Goldman Sachs.

The main reason of ATI Technologies’ market share gain might be very positive sales of high-end and performance-mainstream graphics chips, such as RADEON 9600 and RADEON 9800 series, during Christmas season, as well as new design wins with the world’s leading OEMs, such as Dell.

Additional comments from the companies or market analysts were not available at press time.
    For now, that's great, ATi had great products with the 9700, 9800 lines.

But to be honest with you, I sure hope nVidia tapes out a card that is a worthy competitor to ATi's offering. Otherwise there will be less competition than there is now between nVidia and ATi.

Some of you think that I am an ATi fanboy. Well, for now I am because they have performed for me and those I respect. Once I can say the same for nVidia, I will, trust me.

Hello old friends, flame my enemies!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Lick My Lovepump
    Well done to ATi!

I want to see what those XGI things can do when they come out

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Mad Cat@30 January 2004 - 00:34
    Well done to ATi!

I want to see what those XGI things can do when they come out
    They are already out, and so far driverheaven has regarded them as crap...for now...

Read the article here

their conclusion (in short):

This was the first piece of hardware I have received from a company that I have had to consider if it is even reviewable. There were times when I was very close to taking the card out of the system and just sending it back however based on the lack of information/reviews on the internet regarding the performance and issues the card has I persevered. Hardware reviewing is generally quite interesting and on a lot of occasions more than a little fun. The Volari took all of the enjoyment out of using the test system and I fear that by the time there are some decent drivers which make the card useable we will already be looking at NV40/ R420 and XGI will have missed the boat. I only hope that their next generation part has drivers that do it justice or ATI and Nvidia will have nothing to worry about. There is however no indication that driver improvements will be fast in arriving…all of the issues we experienced with games in Reactor 1.0 were still present in 1.01.51…

All in all a complete disappointment.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Lets hope Nvidia drops its prices to increase market share. A price war is always good for us
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Lick My Lovepump
    Adam, still, they aren't release drivers are they?

And considering its the first proper card this company has released.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by adamp2p@30 January 2004 - 00:37
    lol. it's that guy! that peter pan guy!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    yess,

does this mean i should wait a lil bit b4 buying a card.... will they get cheaper

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Lick My Lovepump
    In March or April the next series of nVidia cards will be out, and ATi won't be too far behind. These will support most of the necessary features for the next-gen DirectX, but will probably come with a premium.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by dray_02@30 January 2004 - 14:36
    yess,

does this mean i should wait a lil bit b4 buying a card.... will they get cheaper
    get your XT if you wish, though be careful on the price, I would only pay about 180 for one.

The 9800 Pros are now 230 or so around the next at the big places, Newegg just sold their's out.