Thread: Mobo Help!

Poster
    Hey,
    I tested my ram so by using one stick at a time. both got the bluescreen of death eventually. Odds are I don't have 2 bad sticks... so is it my mobo? I ran tests on my HD and it is fine and my vid is the same as my friends (he has the Nf7-S mobo aswell) so it shouldn't be the vid card.
    Would you say it's my mobo?
    here are my specs Hey yeh it's liek 2 or 3 days old...
    AMD 2500+
    2 sticks of 256MB 400 3200pc Kingston Ram
    HIS 9600XT
    Abit NF7-S
    480W PSU

Do you need to know my cd-roms?
    -Allan

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    What are the numbers on the BSOD? Particularly the one after *STOP* 0x........
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I dunno what you mean
    Sry can u explain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    When you get a "Blue screen of death", you get a message saying what the cause was. This always starts "*STOP* 0x........" where the dots are a string of 8 hexadecimal digits. This is followed by more 4 more strings of digits and a short explanation of the fault, possibly, but not always, including the name of a driver which is involved with the problem.

This string of numbers can often point to the cause of the problem. Without it, it is almost impossible to definitely say where the fault lies. If your system is set to automatically restart you may not have time to read all the message, but you should still be able to get the first part which can then be looked up on Microsoft knowledge base.

If you can't get it, go to Control Panel and select System. In the Advanced tab, select Startup and Recovery settings and untick the box which says "Automatically restart" and press OK. The next time you get a BSOD you will be able to read all the details.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    k thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Umm, Al, you said your motherboard is new.

Did you reinstall windows as a result? Using an old windows installation on a new motherboard/processor/ram/video card isnt good. Driver conflicts etc etc.

Anyway, if this is a new installation, you already knew to turn off the auto restart on the BSOD for XP? Something most people dont think of right away which is why im asking if you did a fresh install of windows since upgrading.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Bump, like to get ths resolved.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Big Al, which version of the HIS 9600 XT do you have? What are the respective GPU and RAM clocks at default?