Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scots Weed Cafe

Poster
    Originally posted by junkyardking@1 February 2004 - 00:58
    I dont get it, why dont they just legalize it and tax it..
    I believe that one day it will happen. It is not as benign as people choose to believe, however in many ways it is no worse than tobacco and alcohol.

I think the real reason is that there is a large part of the electorate who would disapprove of such a move. Hence the current strategy.

Reduce from Class B to C.

Stop prosecuting people for personal use.

De-criminalize.

Legalise.

It will only work if it is done in steps.

Arseholes forcing the Police's hand by flaunting the laws and forcing them to act help no-one. Most of all the supporters of legalization.

I am not personally a fan of legalising it, however I have no problem with those who wish it done. I find the whole argument that it is no worse than other things little more than sophistry.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by vidcc@30 January 2004 - 20:02
    The cafe allows cannabis users to come in off the streets and use the drug. It does not sell cannabis. Pro-cannabis campaigners - backed by the Scottish Cannabis Coffeeshop Movement - want to highlight what they say is a confusing legal situation surrounding the possession and use of the drug.

that confusion...as stated in the artical which was in one on the UKs leading newspapers (albeit a tabloid)

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by vidcc+1 February 2004 - 01:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 1 February 2004 - 01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@30 January 2004 - 20:02
    The cafe allows cannabis users to come in off the streets and use the drug. It does not sell cannabis. Pro-cannabis campaigners - backed by the Scottish Cannabis Coffeeshop Movement - want to highlight what they say is a confusing legal situation surrounding the possession and use of the drug.

that confusion...as stated in the artical which was in one on the UKs leading newspapers (albeit a tabloid) [/b][/quote]
    It was in the Mirror for feck&#39;s sake. It was not reporting, it was a story in a comic.

There is no confusion with regard to the status of cannabis. It is perfectly clear and has been discussed above. The possession or supply is illegal - no question, no confusion.

There is however confusion in the reporters mind as to the workings of Scots Law.

I can assure you that they are unlikely to have arrested these people. They are more likely to have detained them under the Criminal Law (Consolidation)(Scotland) Act.

Arrest means something entirely different, as I said earlier. The mere fact that the writing was so shoddy reflects badly on the author and as such his / her work. If someone gets the basics wrong, I seriously doubt the veracity of their "facts"

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Thanks, you save me the bother of making my own points.

I post these quotes from the sources you found.

SCOTLAND’S first cannabis cafe faces being closed down after its landlord threatened to take legal action to stop the city venue being used for drug taking.

The businessman who owns the Purple Haze cafe in Leith has told cafe operator Paul Stewart he will be evicted unless he stops his controversial project.

The property operated as a cafe for 12 years, until the current tenant, Paul Stewart, took over the lease two years ago.

"Cannabis is illegal and Mr Frame does not condone the use of the drug or the actions that have been taken by his tenant.

"Mr Frame has advised Paul Stewart that he is in breach of his lease and if he continues to do so, Mr Frame will take legal action.

"Mr Frame is co-operating fully with Lothian and Borders Police and a copy of the letter issued to Paul Stewart by his solicitors has been forwarded to them."

Meanwhile, Lothian and Borders Police today insisted it is "business as usual" for the force.

A spokeswoman said: "The possession and supply of cannabis is illegal. It is also illegal for the occupier or any person concerned in the management of the premises to knowingly allow any person to smoke or supply cannabis."

The opening of the cafe followed a declaration in the Scottish Parliament by Jack McConnell, that the downgrading of cannabis would have little effect on how police deal with users and dealers.

At First Minister’s Questions, Mr McConnell attacked the SSP’s "shameful" drugs policy, condemning "those who intend to interpret the law for their own ends".

He told MSPs: "I want to make clear today that reclassification is not the same as decriminalisation. The use and sale of cannabis both remain illegal in Scotland.

"I do not anticipate that cannabis reclassification will have any significant implications for policing in Scotland."

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    I&#39;m really enjoying this pissing contest only because nothing else is going on here, any more. If you guys stop, I might find myself watching golf or God forbid, going out for a few. I don&#39;t really like people, but sometimes I do find it amusing to watch them in the wild.

I am certainly cross with Lamsey, I have been paying him 50 pounds per month as per the forum subscription fee. Maybe if I send him an extra 100 pounds he can upgrade me to the kazaa-lite-gold forums.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    jpol i have not been saying that weed has been legalised &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; nor did the original story&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    if the weed cafe itself was illegal wouldn&#39;t the police have "detained him and shoved a haggis up his ass or whatever your point was"? NO they didn&#39;t, they Arrested (and i am quoting from a scotish news source here, 3 people for drug offenses (this may or may not have been cannibis)
    THE LANDLORD is saying he might evict but the police can&#39;t do anything unless they find drugs
    quote where i said cannibis is legalised please and quote where the original report said it was...because i have read it several times and i can&#39;t see that.
    you justified the illigitimacy of the story by saying the reporter got it wrong because he said the men were "arrested" and because of your technicality of phrase you suggest that the whole story was a lie...well the SCOTISH NEWS said they were "arrested" and i will go by their version rather than yours...call me old fashioned but i don&#39;t really think that every media reporter is making this story up.
    Now i realise you could just be on a winding up session but i am beginning to see a point made by Billy Dean a while back when he said your sig should be pedantic pedantic pedantic

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    Firstly

The first four words of your opening post were "A legal Cannabis Café ...."

Cannabis is not legal, therefore there can be no such thing. A café which turns a blind eye to cannabis use is not a legal cannabis café.

Secondly

The difference between the actual meaning of words is not being pedantic, it is being accurate. Sadly few people use the word pedantic properly, the irony of which is not lost on me.

Thirdly

I described your source as misinformed pish and I stand by this. The fact that it was a Scottish comic does nothing to dissuade me from this position. I really don&#39;t see why you keep defending it.

Fourthly

I did not say it was made up, I said it was misinformed. I have no doubt that the events took place. I simply question the written account.

Go with whatever version you wish, it matters not one jot to me. After all the British media reports everything accurately and without fear or favour.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@1 February 2004 - 11:29
    Firstly

The first four words of your opening post were "A legal Cannabis Café ...."

yes and that was the whole point CAFE..the police couldn&#39;t do anything to stop the CAFE opening even with its intent...so the CAFE was legal NOT CANNIBIS. if i had said so cannibis is leagal then you could have had a point but the whole irony of the post was that the cafe was open for it&#39;s intended purpose and the police couldn&#39;t intervene as no laws had been broken until someone actually used cannibis or had it on their person.
    you have failed to read the post properly
    even "comics" can contain facts
    perhaps you are suffering the ravages of age and you get confused and easily misled, Altziemers tests might be needed.
    please find me a "quality" paper&#39;s report that states different facts...actually don&#39;t do that as life&#39;s too short for me to be bothered with confused elderly people other than to help them across the road safely.
    you have completely misunderstood the whole point of the post or you have chosen to do it deliberatly, whichever it is i don&#39;t care

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast