Thread: The Museum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    yeh. there is a lot of cool stuff on that site. good way to check out all those old platforms that came & went, before the PC industry basically settled on two (IBM clone & Mac).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Lick My Lovepump
    These things ruled:
    Amiga 500

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Very sketchy and often inaccurate info in there.

For instance, the Olivetti M20 supposedly came out in March 1982, except I was writing progs for them in early 1981. Based on the Zilog Z8000 chip, supposedly a 16 bit relative of the Z80. In fact it was nothing like the Z80 (which was a Zylog rip of the Intel 8080 chip), the Z8000 was actually a rip of the Motorola 68000 chip, the very chip which later evolved into the Power-PC chip used in IBM RS6000 and Macs.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by lynx@30 January 2004 - 13:18
    i don't doubt that. but then again, given the increasing scarcity of a lot of those machines, and many of the companies being shut down and liquidated years ago, a lot of details have been scattered to the wind-- so it's not completely surprising that the info is sketchy.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by lynx@30 January 2004 - 21:18

For instance, the Olivetti M20 supposedly came out in March 1982, except I was writing progs for them in early 1981. Based on the Zilog Z8000 chip, supposedly a 16 bit relative of the Z80. In fact it was nothing like the Z80 (which was a Zylog rip of the Intel 8080 chip), the Z8000 was actually a rip of the Motorola 68000 chip, the very chip which later evolved into the Power-PC chip used in IBM RS6000 and Macs.
    It has a little button for sending more info to them you know.